The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Five Things I've Learnt During My First Year at Uni

You Can Make It Up As You Go
In my first month, I was so used to living in a household with other people that I kept to the schedule I'd always known, waking up at the same times and eating all my meals around the same times. This may work for some people - but remember that university is also a period where you can try new things and find a schedule that suits you best. This might be the first time you've ever been fully independent: why not embrace it and see what work/life schedule truly works best for you?

The Obvious - Budget!
University is a weird time in terms of income, because if you're a home student, you're likely going to get three large chunks of money from Student Finance that will have to last you the entire year. Whilst supplementing your income is definitely something I'd recommend if possible (even if it's only working a few hours on the weekend), make sure not to spend all your money at once - I know there's certainly a temptation everytime your loan comes in to blow it on something expensive, but try and find ways around this! For example, I'd usually treat myself to one or two things at the start - maybe a new pair of shoes or a nice dress - take out any major expenses (rent and bills), and then divide up the rest based on how many weeks I had to make the loan stretch. However, home or international student, you're going to have to budget no matter what - so make sure to keep a track of your spending habits. :h:

Relax!
When I first started, I was so worried about making friends and seeing if I'd 'fit in' to any of the university societies. And whilst I'm not saying you should make an effort to talk to people, don't fret if you don't instantly click with your course or flatmates. Any good relationship takes time and effort, and the first few weeks of uni is a hectic enough time as it is with learning how to live by yourself and adapting to your new surroundings. I didn't meet lots of my close friends until well after the first term - so don't worry if you're not an instant social butterfly!

There's Not Just One Uni Experience
There's this idea of the classic university experience - messy flats, late nights out, rushed last minute essays. And whilst that is inevitably going to be some people's university experience, it might not be yours, and it's perfectly okay if that's something you'd rather avoid. You should try and tailor your experience to what you want to do as much as possible - and if that's staying in with a cup of tea and an early 2000s movie, or spending nights talking to your family back home, there's no harm in that! :smile:

If You Need Support, Reach Out!
Your first year, especially your first month, can be extremely daunting, and it's completely natural to have doubts about whether you're in the right place or studying the right thing. If you can't escape that mindset, talk to your tutors or even your friends back home for reassurance - most people starting at university are going through the exact same thing, and it can make you feel less alone about your own experience if you open up to others.

Hope this was helpful to all the upcoming September 2023 freshers - any tips for going into second year? :wink: What have other first years learnt since going to uni?

- Eve (Kingston Rep.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending