The Student Room Group

How to spend summer after first year

I've just finished first year of university and got a pretty long break so just wondering what to do and how you lot spent it/spending it.
Original post by Help......
I've just finished first year of university and got a pretty long break so just wondering what to do and how you lot spent it/spending it.

Hi there,
How you spend your summer is entirely up to you but I'd suggest any of the following:

- Working a part-time job/freelancing/volunteering
This might be a good idea if you're looking to supplement your student loan for the next academic year. There's plenty of agencies and temporary jobs that you can work over summer to earn some extra money. Or if you're wanting some practical experience to go alongside your degree, finding somewhere that you can get that (whether it's paid or voluntary) is a shout.

- Travel around
If you can afford to travel then I'd recommend doing so. Whilst at uni, I used my summer breaks to catch up with friends in other UK uni cities and occasionally go abroad. If you need some staycation ideas, take a look here: https://bit.ly/45H33mR.

- Get ahead for next year
Once I knew what modules I was doing for my second/third years, I used the end of summer as an opportunity to get ahead with reading which made starting the modules a little bit less daunting.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi @Help...... I totally get you! Whilst I was in first year I found myself in the exact same position. What I did was try to get as much experience possible. I would recommend looking on rate my placement or grad cracker for these placements and find one that is suited to you.

As well as this, I would make sure your CV is completed. If you are going to apply for a placement year, I would recommend making a list of potential placements along with the deadline for them. Also, remember it's your summer so make sure you take time to relax and refresh for your second year. Hope this helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
I’ve always thought the university summer holidays were too long, despite being a full time student I’m only at uni for just over half the year. Some things I’ve done during the holidays:

1) Summer job
Great to get cash for the next university semester but you can’t really do much else with your summer because employers are unlikely to give you time off from a temp job.

2)Work experience/internship
The window for formal internships has probably closed now, but you can always try emailing random employers to see if they’ll let you shadow someone in their organisation.

3) Travel
It’s been mentioned a lot already but now really is the time to do it. Travelling doesn’t have to be expensive if you’re on a tight budget. There loads of cool places around Europe to discover or you can even just stick to exploring the UK.

4)
Just take time to relax. University is stressful and your working life after it will be a long one. Don’t beat yourself up if you end up doing nothing, just embrace being able to spend time with friends/family

Hello @Help......

I hope you're well. I know sometimes the breaks over summer can be so long! Personally I don't get a long break as I do a healthcare course but, I can give a few tips. Potentially meet up with any friends you've met during university, or any friends from before university. You could find places to eat, or do some action or adventure activities such as rock climbing/bowling.

Finding a new hobby would be good, especially one you could continue whilst at uni! This is a bit more expensive, but if you do have funds maybe try and go on holiday (solo, friends, family) anything! It doesn't have to be abroad it could also be within a few hours of where you normally reside.

I hope you enjoy your break!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

I ended up getting a part time job last summer after finishing my first year, in a well known fast food chain which I kept throughout my second year of uni :smile:
now I've just finished my second year exams so I'm going to be working some more shifts, I'm looking at hopefully starting driving lessons and going back to all the books I've got on my TBR list :awesome: also I've got several places which I want to explore in London :biggrin:
@Help......

Last year, I spent the whole summer working. This was great in terms of earning some cash ahead of my second year, but I know that I felt really tired when I returned back to uni and that I didn't take any time to look ahead at some of the work/modules for Year 2.

So I would definitely enjoy the chance to rest, while also trying to make a few plans to go over anything that is going to be important for next year. It might also be an idea to go over some things from this year so that you don't forget everything that you have learnt over the summer!

The summer is a great time to get back to hobbies that you haven't had much time for during uni or to just catch up with people, so do enjoy it : )
but remember that next year will be more intense and that your results count!

You could try and do a little bit of something each week or you could take the first half of the summer to rest and then slowly get back into looking at uni work ahead of your second year.

Whatever you do, try and find a healthy balance!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 7
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@Help......

Last year, I spent the whole summer working. This was great in terms of earning some cash ahead of my second year, but I know that I felt really tired when I returned back to uni and that I didn't take any time to look ahead at some of the work/modules for Year 2.

So I would definitely enjoy the chance to rest, while also trying to make a few plans to go over anything that is going to be important for next year. It might also be an idea to go over some things from this year so that you don't forget everything that you have learnt over the summer!

The summer is a great time to get back to hobbies that you haven't had much time for during uni or to just catch up with people, so do enjoy it : )
but remember that next year will be more intense and that your results count!

You could try and do a little bit of something each week or you could take the first half of the summer to rest and then slowly get back into looking at uni work ahead of your second year.

Whatever you do, try and find a healthy balance!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Yeah, if I was to get a job, I would only work part time as I don't really feel it is worth it to work full time especially since money is not really much of a problem for me.

Hi there:smile:

Second-year Cardiff Uni Student here!

Firstly, the extended break over the summers at uni is one of the only periods that we may have to have to much free time. It's great that we can take advantage of this. You can try to get work experience, get a job, and go travelling. Personally, at the end of my first year, I spend a month backpacking around central Europe, then spend 1.5 months working and with family.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep

Hello @Help......

This is a very good questions and truthfully completely up to you on how to spend your summer, there is no right or wrong answer, but a couple of suggestions for you of stuff I did during my summers at University.

Relax - First year is a big transition and it can be exhausting, take some time to rest both mentally and physically before you get into second year.

Travel - you may have friends from High School or College that now attend other Universities up and down the country, why not take time to visit them to see and experience different cities/ towns. Or take a trip abroad if you can do.

Explore - why not take time to explore the new city or environment you are in if you have moved away from home for University

Work - pick up a part-time job or get more hours over summer in order to save up a bit of money for second year, or for a trip away towards the end of summer.

Prepare - Not right away (again take time to rest) but you can take some time to look forward to and prepare for second year, you will receive your modules and reading list towards the end of summer or may already have access to it, so take some time to get ahead of second year.

Hope these options help you work out some things to do, but most importantly enjoy your break and look forward to an amazing second year.

Cheers

Matthew

- University of Salford Rep

Hi Help!

My name is Ridhika and I am bournemouth university student representative. I was in a similar situation where the holidays seemed long especially when you do not need to re-take units. There are many things you are able to do. If your university has a student ambassador programme you are able to do this and gain money usually they will have different departments that you are able to work for and get skills for employment. You are able to volunteer at organisations or gain experience using a internship for the summer if you are able to gain one.

Hi!
Congratulations on finishing your first year!
There are many ways to spend your free time over the summer break; perhaps the most obvious one for students is to get a part time job, that way you can save up for any other summer plans (travelling etc) or for the next year at uni. Additionally, you could look into work experience, placements or volunteering opportunities within a field of work you are interested in. This always looks great on your CV and can give you an insight into an industry you are interested in.
On a more fun note, see when friends are home from uni and plan some trips and meet ups with them, the long break is a great time to catch up with people outside of the pressure of deadlines!

I hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Hey, @Help......!

First off - I completely understand where you're coming from! The first summer of university can be a bit daunting, especially since this break is probably a lot longer than ones you might have had prior.

If you're a bit tight for cash or would like to have a bit more financial security going into second year, working a part-time job is a great option: it can help give your summer some sense of routine and ensure you're set up for the year ahead. You could also consider trying to get some industry-related work experience, attending student networking events, or taking a free online short-course to improve your knowledge or skills.

If that's not for you (or you want to spend your summer relaxing), consider travelling to nearby cities or checking out local attractions that you might have missed or not had the opportunity to stop by yet. For example, I spent my first summer visiting nearby theme parks - I think I ended up going to Chessington World of Adventures three times in two months! 😅

Ultimately, remember not to put pressure on doing too much. Summer is a time to relax, and to do what you want to do; if you don't want a strict agenda, you don't need to have one! 🙃

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending