The Student Room Group

Top up degree

Hi

I've been offered a degree apprenticeship where I'll be studying an HNC in electronics engineering at a college for 3 years then do a top up year at a uni for a BEng in electronics engineering.

I wish to do a masters at a top uni after. Assuming I achieve a high first, will my chances be the same as someone else who just did a 3 year BEng as we'd have the same degree - so will me getting an HNC first disadvantage me?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by user8937264980
Hi

I've been offered a degree apprenticeship where I'll be studying an HNC in electronics engineering at a college for 3 years then do a top up year at a uni for a BEng in electronics engineering.

I wish to do a masters at a top uni after. Assuming I achieve a high first, will my chances be the same as someone else who just did a 3 year BEng as we'd have the same degree - so will me getting an HNC first disadvantage me?

Thanks

I did my FdEng in mechanical engineering before my BEng top up, both part of an apprenticeship. Some of the other students on my top up did a HNC instead. They missed out on some of the foundation subjects since the FdEng was with the same university, but it wasn’t anything major.

You could be funded by your employer to do a MSc, MEng, or MBA after - subject to their decision. Or depending on the work-based experience you gather during your apprenticeship, skip your masters and do a PhD.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Chris2892
I did my FdEng in mechanical engineering before my BEng top up, both part of an apprenticeship. Some of the other students on my top up did a HNC instead. They missed out on some of the foundation subjects since the FdEng was with the same university, but it wasn’t anything major.

You could be funded by your employer to do a MSc, MEng, or MBA after - subject to their decision. Or depending on the work-based experience you gather during your apprenticeship, skip your masters and do a PhD.

I'm interested in if the top up degree carries the same weight as a regular bachelors - I've been told by Uni of Leeds they wouldnt accept me for a masters as i wouldve only done 1 year of bachelor level study, but as the end degree i get is the same i assume companies would see a top up and regular BEng as the same thing? I assume a top uni just wouldnt take me because just like how employers look for practical experience, I'd have less experience studying at a high level which unis would want.
Reply 3
I'm interested in if the top up degree carries the same weight as a regular bachelors - I've been told by Uni of Leeds they wouldnt accept me for a masters as i wouldve only done 1 year of bachelor level study, but as the end degree i get is the same i assume companies would see a top up and regular BEng as the same thing? I assume a top uni just wouldnt take me because just like how employers look for practical experience, I'd have less experience studying at a high level which unis would want.

They don’t support engineering apprenticeships there.
The top up would be a 2-year Degree Apprenticeship, after you complete a level 4 higher apprenticeship (FdEng/HNC and HND).

otherwise, you’d likely have to join a full time course in second year.

My BEng top up considered my FdEng to make it a BEng with honours. It was also certified by the IMechE. So it’s the same degree if I’d studied full time.
(edited 10 months ago)
They don’t support engineering apprenticeships there.
The top up would be a 2-year Degree Apprenticeship, after you complete a level 4 higher apprenticeship (FdEng/HNC and HND).

otherwise, you’d likely have to join a full time course in second year.

My BEng top up considered my FdEng to make it a BEng with honours. It was also certified by the IMechE. So it’s the same degree if I’d studied full time.

No I know, I meant after I complete the apprenticeship I am planning on doing a masters at a uni such as Leeds but they have told me they wouldnt accept my masters application if I had a top up degree as opposed to a traditional BEng. Do you think this is just a thing with the top universities (as theyd prefer someone who has had the 3 years of study at bachelors level) or is it also an issue with employers or other unis?
Reply 5
No I know, I meant after I complete the apprenticeship I am planning on doing a masters at a uni such as Leeds but they have told me they wouldnt accept my masters application if I had a top up degree as opposed to a traditional BEng. Do you think this is just a thing with the top universities (as theyd prefer someone who has had the 3 years of study at bachelors level) or is it also an issue with employers or other unis?

I think that’s a load of rubbish. I was offered a funded PhD there specifically without a masters degree. You’ve likely been chatting with the wrong person.

I think you should ignore masters degree stuff until you get closer to the end of your degree apprenticeship studies. You’ve got plenty of time to think about what you want to do. I felt uni was a waste of time relative to what I learnt on the job. I turned down a PhD because I wanted to work full time, but I’m considering doing MBA for career development purposes - 3 years after finishing my degree apprenticeship.
(edited 10 months ago)
I think that’s a load of rubbish. I was offered a funded PhD there specifically without a masters degree. You’ve likely been chatting with the wrong person.

I think you should ignore masters degree stuff until you get closer to the end of your degree apprenticeship studies. You’ve got plenty of time to think about what you want to do. I felt uni was a waste of time relative to what I learnt on the job. I turned down a PhD because I wanted to work full time, but I’m considering doing MBA for career development purposes - 3 years after finishing my degree apprenticeship.

Ok, thank you for the insight. How have you found getting a job after the apprenticeship? Do you mind giving me some advice on my situation?

- offered a mech eng BEng at Uni of Leeds (ranked 8th)
- offered a degree apprenticeship at BAE Systems. Involves 3 years at college studying HNC and HND then complete a top up year - BEng (Hons) in electronics engineering at Uni of Portsmouth (ranked 37th)

Based off those, which would provide better career prospects in the automotive powertrain sector?

I feel like I'd rather do the apprenticeship however am having doubts about doing electronics as opposed to mech eng. I also want to be sure most companies and a few good unis won't view my top up year as a disadvantage. Can you tell me about your experience doing mech eng? I feel it may be better to do mechanical if I cant decide between the two and was set on mechanical before getting the BAE offer.

If I could, I'd like the option to do a masters in mechanical engineering, even if I take the electronics apprenticeship route. Do you know where I can find info on my chances of being successful? Most unis allow electronics for an application to a mech eng masters but I assume my chances would be lower. Thank you
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending