What are the answers supposed to be?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What are the answers supposed to be?

The answers are all correct on there but I don’t the working
Reply 3
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
The answers are all correct on there but I don’t the working

That was why I asked because I couldn't see a mistake.

Which bit don't you get?
The solutions are written (presumably by you) in red. What exactly is unclear? How about you start putting in some effort and more details with the issues you are having in your posts rather than expecting to be spoon fed
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
That was why I asked because I couldn't see a mistake.

Which bit don't you get?

I don’t get how to do the first q…
how do I get 11…
do I plus one to the f(x)
I’m so confused

How do I know it’s 3+ (9-1)
?
(edited 10 months ago)
I don’t get how to do the first q…
how do I get 11…
do I plus one to the f(x)
I’m so confused

How do I know it’s 3+ (9-1)
?

It's because integral(f(x) + 1) = integral(f(x)) + integral (1)
The value of integral(f(x)) is given to you, so you just need to add integral (1)
Reply 7
Original post by old_engineer
It's because integral(f(x) + 1) = integral(f(x)) + integral (1)
The value of integral(f(x)) is given to you, so you just need to add integral (1)

Ahh I see thank you!!
Also what about the second one… I’m so sorry for being annoying but I’m really dumb
I don’t get why they put the minus there isn’t it just times by 2 because it’s stretch in y direction
(edited 10 months ago)
Ahh I see thank you!!
Also what about the second one… I’m so sorry for being annoying but I’m really dumb
I don’t get why they put the minus there isn’t it just times by 2 because it’s stretch in y direction

If you look closely you'll see that the limits of integration have been reversed. That has the effect of negating the original integral.
Reply 9
Original post by old_engineer
If you look closely you'll see that the limits of integration have been reversed. That has the effect of negating the original integral.

You’re so kind,
thanks for the help 🥹‼️
I don't get for the first one how integrating 1 just gives you 9 - 1. When you integrate 1 you get x, so surely it'd be 9x - x, so 8x not 8? I got the second one, but can someone explain this with the first one?
Reply 11
Original post by toxicgamage56
I don't get for the first one how integrating 1 just gives you 9 - 1. When you integrate 1 you get x, so surely it'd be 9x - x, so 8x not 8? I got the second one, but can someone explain this with the first one?

I think its just a bit of sloppy writing / missing a + as you get
Int_1^9 f(x) dx + Int_1^9 1 dx
the first term is 3 as your given it, the second definite integral is 9-1 as you get x before subbing in the limits.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
I think its just a bit of sloppy writing / missing a + as you get
Int_1^9 f(x) dx + Int_1^9 1 dx
the first term is 3 as your given it, the second definite integral is 9-1 as you get x before subbing in the limits.

That's my bad. I genuinely am so stupid, I forgot the 9 and 1 just went in place of x and for some reason thought it'd be 9x - x as if it were expanding the brackets. Thank you for explaining that to me.
Reply 13
Original post by toxicgamage56
That's my bad. I genuinely am so stupid, I forgot the 9 and 1 just went in place of x and for some reason thought it'd be 9x - x as if it were expanding the brackets. Thank you for explaining that to me.

With questions like this it's almost worth taking a step back and asking "what does the integral represent?" If you integrate '1' between limits of 1 and 9 then you're basically calculating the area of a rectangle with height 1 and width 8 ( = 9 - 1), so the extra bit of area added to the original integral is just going to be 8.
Original post by davros
With questions like this it's almost worth taking a step back and asking "what does the integral represent?" If you integrate '1' between limits of 1 and 9 then you're basically calculating the area of a rectangle with height 1 and width 8 ( = 9 - 1), so the extra bit of area added to the original integral is just going to be 8.

Yeah, that makes sense, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest