The Student Room Group

Parametric integration

I’m doing the attached question.

I’m ok up until part c. I want it integrate the curve from point P to where the curve cuts the x axis which I think is when x =5 and if the integration is in trig then I shouldn’t be using that anyway. But what do I integrate. I suppose it’s 4 sin theta.

I looked at the answer and it integrates (4 sin theta)(-5 sin theta) between 0 and pi/4

I’m at a loss as to why any of that.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by maggiehodgson
I’m doing the attached question.
I’m ok up until part c. I want it integrate the curve from point P to where the curve cuts the x axis which I think is when x =5 and if the integration is in trig then I shouldn’t be using that anyway. But what do I integrate. I suppose it’s 4 sin theta.
I looked at the answer and it integrates (4 sin theta)(-5 sin theta) between 0 and pi/4
I’m at a loss as to why any of that.
Thanks
Its doing parametric integration (chain rule) so
Int y dx = Int y dx/dt dt
https://www.savemyexams.com/a-level/maths_pure/edexcel/18/revision-notes/9-parametric-equations/9-2-further-parametric-equations/9-2-2-parametric-integration/

Really, putting in the dependencies youre doing
Int y(x) dx = Int y(x(t)) dx(t)/dt dt
So all you need to do is be clear about which representation/space youre working with.
(edited 1 month ago)
Thanks for your reply. I did a bit of deep thought and I now understand the solution.
Original post by maggiehodgson
Thanks for your reply. I did a bit of deep thought and I now understand the solution.

what as your working and solution? I've been stuck on this question all day
Original post by Prince2006
what as your working and solution? I've been stuck on this question all day

We don't post solutions as that's against forum rules - if you post your work we'll give a hint.

Quick Reply

Latest