The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

GCU Adult Nursing 2023

Hi,
I’m just wondering if when anyone attended the applicant event for nursing did anyone note down the term dates but more importantly the dates for placement? I’m wondering if placement for the first year starts part of the way through the year or if it was right at the end? This is because I’m really struggling with how I’m going to attend placement. Getting to the uni is fine but getting to the opposite side of Glasgow for like a 7 am start is impossible from where I live. Im trying to see that if it was at the end of the “uni year” if i could just live away from home during that time as that is more feasible than every term.
Thanks so much everyone. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I’m just wondering if when anyone attended the applicant event for nursing did anyone note down the term dates but more importantly the dates for placement? I’m wondering if placement for the first year starts part of the way through the year or if it was right at the end? This is because I’m really struggling with how I’m going to attend placement. Getting to the uni is fine but getting to the opposite side of Glasgow for like a 7 am start is impossible from where I live. Im trying to see that if it was at the end of the “uni year” if i could just live away from home during that time as that is more feasible than every term.

I would also like to know what dates people put in when applying for SAAS.
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
The Academic Year shall run from 11 September 2023 until 06 September 2024. Teaching shall begin on 18 September 2023.
https://www.gla.ac.uk apg sessio...
Academic Policy & Governance - Session dates - Session 2023 - University of Glasgow

Hi,

I would also like to know what dates people put in when applying for SAAS.

Apply asap for the SAAS SO that it's sorted out by the beginning of the academic year for you and remember that you'll have to reapply for it each year as not automatically done.

So you'll start university at beginning of September and you will do approx 6-7 weeks at university learning all the basics health and safety things for nursing and other nursing associate stuff.
Then about a week or so before the end of this period I mentioned about at university you'll be hopefully given dates and where you'll be going to for placement and you do around 7 weeks and back to university for another 7 weeks and then out on placement again. ( Yo you have to complete 2300 hours of both university studying and also 2300 hours of placement hours over the three years of the course 4600 hours in total- roughly works out at about 37.5 hours per week). holidays are at end of each term ( Xmas and new year, Easter holidays and then at end of the academic year - about 6/7 weeks holidays per year) and you'll have few other days off but you'll be given your timetable when you start in September.

You can ask about placement when you get told to do them with your placement officer and course leader at university and discuss any concerns about getting to these okay and they may be able to find something closer to you but don't hold your breath in getting it. ).

You do around 3 x 7 weeks placements per year depending on how the university has scheduled these dates out.

I'm just about completing my adult nursing degree as just awaiting for my final exams results hopefully this week and then I can start temporary band 4 position until NMC sends the registration details back.
Where I live in Edinburgh I had to still travel to West Lothian ( St John's hospital which is roughly 16 miles from home and yes getting there for a early morning start wasn't easy but luckily I was able to use one of the parents cars during this placement) and then I used buses when I was at hospital placement in Edinburgh and same for community placement.
I attended one placement down in Melrose and I had to find alternative accommodation because of the travel time to and from Edinburgh wasn't right.
You are unfortunately solely responsible for getting to your placement. Reason why you discuss it with your placement officer and course leader when you are due to do placement if its a issue for you to get to.
You also need to give yourself time to change into your uniform before going onto the ward's and same at the end of your shift you change out of your uniform as not allowed to wear it outside of hospital and also you wear uniform in university.

University studying you usually start about 9am until 4.30 / 5pm roughly.

I'm sure you'll be able to get to any of the local hospital in Glasgow as you may have to research the local bus that goes to the hospitals in and around Glasgow.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi,

Firstly well done for getting offered a student nursing position at university ☺️

Secondly get in touch with SAAS asap okay so that they can get your bursary etc all sorted out before starting your nursing degree in mid September. They will help you with everything okay.

You should start on September 11th ( Monday) at Glasgow Caledonian university. This is when the new academic year starts but check with the university asap if unsure.

You won't be doing placements until you have spent some time at the university doing all the necessary health and safety skills, learning how to do the Obs on patient, bed making etc.
Then hopefully after about 7 weeks you'll be sent to a designated placement ( information about this will be given to you around a week or two before you are due to start).

You may be on community placement first which means you'll start the same time as when the GP surgery operates and finish when they close ( usually 8am - 6pm ) Monday to Friday with a day off during the week plus free weekends.
If it's hospital placement then it's about a 7am start for dayshift and approximately 7pm start for night shift.

So your placement are spread out over the whole academic year similar to what the other person has said in post #3 on how they do your placement and university studying. Until you actually get your timetable for the year in September you'll not know when you will be in university and on placement as they can vary the placement weeks but most likely you will be doing around the 7 weeks sort of schedule. My current students are doing a 7 week block of placement.

Glasgow buses operates early bus timetables as majority of the nursing staff and other hospital staff can easily get into there particular hospital they work in.

University you'll start from about 8.30/9am until approximately 4.30pm - you'll usually do a 37.5 hours week at university and also on any placement.

I have students who I am mentioning/ supervising coming from the outskirts of Glasgow ( Croy and around this area to the QEUH without issues using public transport). They come from the university West of Scotland.

I'm a registered midwife but I didn't go to university West of Scotland as went to Napier university in Edinburgh and worked there after qualifying for over a year before I was able to get a position back home in Glasgow). I unfortunately stay in the south side of Glasgow and just walk to the hospital as I'm on the doorstep of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending