The Student Room Group

Switching from BSc Adult Nursing to MSc Adult Nursing

Hi,
I have started BSc Adult Nursing in January 2023 and receive both tuition fee and maintenance loans, as my previous study was not taken into account as Nursing is one of the exemption courses.

When I had my interview, I have been told that since I already have a BSc as well as MSc (both in psychology), I might want to consider applying to MSc Adult Nursing instead of the BSc. I declined the offer as I assumed I couldn't get another master's loan to cover the costs. Although I really wanted to do it as it would mean I qualify earlier.

I stumbled across similar questions from other students today and found out that MSc Adult Nursing is apparently eligible for undergraduate funding. Is this true?

If so, if I were to speak to my University and switch to MSc Adult Nursing from BSc Adult Nursing (staying at the same university, just switching courses), starting this September 2023, would I still receive full funding from SFE to cover my tuition and maintenance costs for the 2 years of the MSc?
Original post by wsxx00
Hi,
I have started BSc Adult Nursing in January 2023 and receive both tuition fee and maintenance loans, as my previous study was not taken into account as Nursing is one of the exemption courses.

When I had my interview, I have been told that since I already have a BSc as well as MSc (both in psychology), I might want to consider applying to MSc Adult Nursing instead of the BSc. I declined the offer as I assumed I couldn't get another master's loan to cover the costs. Although I really wanted to do it as it would mean I qualify earlier.

I stumbled across similar questions from other students today and found out that MSc Adult Nursing is apparently eligible for undergraduate funding. Is this true?

If so, if I were to speak to my University and switch to MSc Adult Nursing from BSc Adult Nursing (staying at the same university, just switching courses), starting this September 2023, would I still receive full funding from SFE to cover my tuition and maintenance costs for the 2 years of the MSc?

Hi there,

Some Postgraduate Healthcare courses are funded by undergraduate funding and may be an exception to previous study rules. Can you confirm the university, the course name, duration and start date please?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Some Postgraduate Healthcare courses are funded by undergraduate funding and may be an exception to previous study rules. Can you confirm the university, the course name, duration and start date please?

Thanks, Clare

Hi,

I am currently at Coventry University studying BSc Adult Nursing (started January 2023) and if funding would be possible then I would switch to MSc Adult Nursing also at Coventry University starting this September 2023. The MSc is 2 years full time.

Of course all of this is subject to the university being okay with this and, Student Finance.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by wsxx00
Hi,

I am currently at Coventry University studying BSc Adult Nursing (started January 2023) and if funding would be possible then I would switch to MSc Adult Nursing also at Coventry University starting this September 2023. The MSc is 2 years full time.

Of course all of this is subject to the university being okay with this and, Student Finance.

Hi there,

Can you double check both of those course names please? I have checked both and those are not valid course names on our database. If you have course codes, that would be helpful.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Hi there,

Can you double check both of those course names please? I have checked both and those are not valid course names on our database. If yHiou have course codes, that would be helpful.

Thanks, Clare

Hi,

I am currently on BSc Adult Nursing, code: B740
Hoping to switch to MSc Adult Nursing: HLST265

Full name of MSc is: Adult Nursing (pre-registration) Blended Learning MSc
and BSc which I am currently on: Adult Nursing BSc (Hons)

I hope this helps.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by wsxx00
Hi,

I am currently on BSc Adult Nursing, code: B740
Hoping to switch to MSc Adult Nursing: HLST265

Full name of MSc is: Adult Nursing (pre-registration) Blended Learning MSc
and BSc which I am currently on: Adult Nursing BSc (Hons)

I hope this helps.

Hi there,

Thank you for confirming. I am pleased to advise that the Postgraduate course you provided the course code for, is a course that you will be eligible for. As you are not registered in that field, you will be eligible for full support for that course. That course, although Postgraduate, will be funded by undergraduate funding, therefore all you would need to do is change your course details for 23/24 if that is when you will be attending.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Hi there,

Thank you for confirming. I am pleased to advise that the Postgraduate course you provided the course code for, is a course that you will be eligible for. As you are not registered in that field, you will be eligible for full support for that course. That course, although Postgraduate, will be funded by undergraduate funding, therefore all you would need to do is change your course details for 23/24 if that is when you will be attending.

Thanks, Clare

Hi,

Thank you so much for confirming.

I do have a few more questions.

How will this work in terms of tuition fees and maintenance that I have already received and due to receive in September? Will I have to repay anything to SFE or, my university out of pocket and in full? If the switch is possible, then this would mean I am leaving before my first year of university has ended, do I need to repay my university anything?

I also have a maintenance loan payment coming on 11th September. Would I keep this as normal? Or, would I have to repay this?

I am mostly concerned about tuition fees and if my university would ask me to pay out of pocket, due to leaving the course early.
Original post by wsxx00
Hi,

How will this work in terms of tuition fees and maintenance that I have already received and due to receive in September? Will I have to repay anything to SFE or, my university out of pocket and in full? If the switch is possible, then this would mean I am leaving before my first year of university has ended, do I need to repay my university anything?

I also have a maintenance loan payment coming on 11th September. Would I keep this as normal? Or, would I have to repay this?

I am mostly concerned about tuition fees and if my university would ask me to pay out of pocket, due to leaving the course early.

Hi there, if you can call us on 0300 100 0607 we can block that payment from being released. Thanks, Jason
Original post by wsxx00
Hi,

Hi there,

If the university are classing you as a transfer then you shouldn't need to repay anything currently. You can change your 23/24 application online by clicking on your application, change my application and course details.

If you're withdrawing then we require a Change Of Circumstances from your university. We would then work out if anything is due to be repaid.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending