The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs. Glasgow

I'm currently a year 12 student which means we have to start looking at unis and I know most of which ones I want to apply to but I wanted to add either uni of Edinburgh or uni of Glasgow and I don't know which one. I've visited Edinburgh and I liked it though I didn't find that it lived up to the hype that surrounds it (Though I could only be there for a really short time so it might have been the stress talking) and I haven't visited Glasgow and might not be able to, hence this question.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Btw I want to study a joint honours of classics and English and I think my predicted A-levels might be 2 A*s, A and B
Original post by Sandyfish
I'm currently a year 12 student which means we have to start looking at unis and I know most of which ones I want to apply to but I wanted to add either uni of Edinburgh or uni of Glasgow and I don't know which one. I've visited Edinburgh and I liked it though I didn't find that it lived up to the hype that surrounds it (Though I could only be there for a really short time so it might have been the stress talking) and I haven't visited Glasgow and might not be able to hence this question.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Sandyfish
I'm currently a year 12 student which means we have to start looking at unis and I know most of which ones I want to apply to but I wanted to add either uni of Edinburgh or uni of Glasgow and I don't know which one. I've visited Edinburgh and I liked it though I didn't find that it lived up to the hype that surrounds it (Though I could only be there for a really short time so it might have been the stress talking) and I haven't visited Glasgow and might not be able to, hence this question.

For reference I had Edinburgh as my firm and Glasgow as my insurance. Looking back, I think that was the right decision for me. I just loved Edinburgh when I went to visit and still do. In general Scotland has a lot of good going for it. Lovely mountains, great cities, free bus travel, highly ranked unis. Edinburgh is truly unique and that's why I went for it over Glasgow which is kind of just your standard big city. Been to Manchester, Liverpool, or Brum? Then you've practically been to Glasgow. Just change the accent and throw some cones on some statues. Honestly I think Limmy sums it up best: "Edinburgh's for visiting, Glasgow's for living".
Reply 3
That's really interesting, thank you!
Original post by blaztroid
For reference I had Edinburgh as my firm and Glasgow as my insurance. Looking back, I think that was the right decision for me. I just loved Edinburgh when I went to visit and still do. In general Scotland has a lot of good going for it. Lovely mountains, great cities, free bus travel, highly ranked unis. Edinburgh is truly unique and that's why I went for it over Glasgow which is kind of just your standard big city. Been to Manchester, Liverpool, or Brum? Then you've practically been to Glasgow. Just change the accent and throw some cones on some statues. Honestly I think Limmy sums it up best: "Edinburgh's for visiting, Glasgow's for living".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending