The Student Room Group

Old Videogames

Hello,
Is it fine to still play old videogames if you want to?
Thanks
Owais Qadri
Of course.
Original post by Gerjaffers2002
Hello,
Thanks
Owais Qadri

It is, of course! many retrogamers - I count myself to them - still play old games. Some like me even on old consoles.
Original post by Admit-One
Of course.

Do you play old games on old consoles too or do you need an emulator? anyway what is the oldest console you have?
Okay thanks
Nothing wrong with it at all mate
Original post by Kallisto
Do you play old games on old consoles too or do you need an emulator? anyway what is the oldest console you have?

I mainly play retro stuff on my Switch or Xbox. Just conversions of the old titles.

I have a collection of retro consoles as well, but it’s a bit of a faff to hook them up to a modern tv. I have my original MegaDrive which I bought around 1991-2. The oldest family console I played growing up was the Atari 2600 :smile:
Original post by Admit-One
I mainly play retro stuff on my Switch or Xbox. Just conversions of the old titles.

I have a collection of retro consoles as well, but it’s a bit of a faff to hook them up to a modern tv. I have my original MegaDrive which I bought around 1991-2. The oldest family console I played growing up was the Atari 2600 :smile:

Conversions of old titles on xBox and Switch... are they remakes then? Or really the original games but adapted for those consoles to play?

I have still an NES console I can't get up and running. I am so familiar with that struggle.
(edited 10 months ago)
Definitely
Reply 9
Nobody is to judge you for playing old video games.

What you enjoy is what is important to you :smile:

I can still play an old game from the 90s and enjoy it.
Original post by JVM2020
(...)

I can still play an old game from the 90s and enjoy it.

But can you play them on old consoles too? I can, if I would buy a new power source, I think.
Original post by flavorflav11
The term "old video games" is sooo wide these days that if one were to focus solely on avoiding legendary titles like the first two Fallouts, Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, the first Deus Ex game or even Fallout: NV (just because they're "old games") - they'll be severely crippling their "growth" as gamers to a worrying degree :smile:

Games for the NES, SNES and N64 are old. PS1 and PS2 maybe too, but generations after PS2 are modern. Old means retro and retro is everything before NES.
Reply 12
I've played Doom (1 or 2, I don't remember which) and Alpha Centauri (from same maker as civillisation). Do those games count as "retro games"?
Original post by .Vvoid.
I've played Doom (1 or 2, I don't remember which) and Alpha Centauri (from same maker as civillisation). Do those games count as "retro games"?

Doom in any case, if they are the games released for PS1. Games for PS1 and PS2 are classic games by now. At least in my consideration.
Original post by username6031040
Hello,
Thanks
Owais Qadri

Yes I love playing old games. Some are so much better than new games as new games are mostly remakes of old games but worse.

Quick Reply

Latest