The Student Room Group

I hate everything to do with AI, ASI, the Singularity, the world isn’t getting better

Ai is terrifying me (the constant position in the news is really upsetting me/my mental health): no matter how good we are, Ai will replace us in everything, art, books, videogames design, film, soon, they say, films will be generated from a single prompt, we are watching the end of sharing ideas and creativity. I would either like to do law, teaching, civil service, though all of these will be decimated by 2030 tops, because of GPT-whatever. People seem to treat this as a good thing- I want to work, I like the idea of contributing to society, and don’t want to just stay at home with an Ai partner playing videogames. I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
Or stats guy (maybe, assuming an Ai cannot be trained to analyse stats)
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

I hate the idea of singularity, joining with a machine, or being ruled by a super intelligence, anyone who does, simply wants to be a pet and I despise them. I don’t want to live in this world that Sam Altman and Bill Gates treat as utopia- because it is not a utopia for me, I really really hate the world that is being created without any voting, any democracy, nothing, when an Ai is better at everything than everyone, there is no point in sharing any passion or doing anything, there is no need for authors when any idiot with GPT-25 can do any book better, no need for any film, when a text to film Ai is made, none of my career paths will matter: what is the point of lawyer, teacher, or diplomat when there is no countries because everything is ruled by ASI, there is no need for lawyers, because everyone is either on UBI so no commercial law, or law is judged by an AGI, and teachers, let’s be honest here, Chatgpt+ai avatar+eleven labs creates a personalised teacher for everyone. I hate the world we are entering, I don’t care about doing well in anything, because nothing matters anymore, and I absolutely hate the monsters who develop it, or sympathise with it. I want a world of hardship, flaw, and independence, without being fed, paid, and nanny-stated by an ASI. I hate it all, and want it to stop: it isn’t. Please do not try to convince me that any of this is good: because I hate you.

I don’t really know what to do.
Reply 1
i would suggest you look at it one of two ways in order to feel better about it

1. it is what it is, its inevitable and you cant really do anything about it so you might as well try your hardest. its not like your grades will become useless because of ai right after you sit them. besides your grades are something to be proud of especially with you predicted so highly.

2. ai will hopefully generate some new interesting careers and opportunities for people that you can take part in, and maybe something youd enjoy even more than what youre looking at now.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Ai is terrifying me (the constant position in the news is really upsetting me/my mental health): no matter how good we are, Ai will replace us in everything, art, books, videogames design, film, soon, they say, films will be generated from a single prompt, we are watching the end of sharing ideas and creativity. I would either like to do law, teaching, civil service, though all of these will be decimated by 2030 tops, because of GPT-whatever. People seem to treat this as a good thing- I want to work, I like the idea of contributing to society, and don’t want to just stay at home with an Ai partner playing videogames. I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
Or stats guy (maybe, assuming an Ai cannot be trained to analyse stats)
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

I hate the idea of singularity, joining with a machine, or being ruled by a super intelligence, anyone who does, simply wants to be a pet and I despise them. I don’t want to live in this world that Sam Altman and Bill Gates treat as utopia- because it is not a utopia for me, I really really hate the world that is being created without any voting, any democracy, nothing, when an Ai is better at everything than everyone, there is no point in sharing any passion or doing anything, there is no need for authors when any idiot with GPT-25 can do any book better, no need for any film, when a text to film Ai is made, none of my career paths will matter: what is the point of lawyer, teacher, or diplomat when there is no countries because everything is ruled by ASI, there is no need for lawyers, because everyone is either on UBI so no commercial law, or law is judged by an AGI, and teachers, let’s be honest here, Chatgpt+ai avatar+eleven labs creates a personalised teacher for everyone. I hate the world we are entering, I don’t care about doing well in anything, because nothing matters anymore, and I absolutely hate the monsters who develop it, or sympathise with it. I want a world of hardship, flaw, and independence, without being fed, paid, and nanny-stated by an ASI. I hate it all, and want it to stop: it isn’t. Please do not try to convince me that any of this is good: because I hate you.

I don’t really know what to do.

Hi, I understand what you're saying but please calm down. You don't need to be constantly worrying about these things. As you said, it is affecting your mental health which is rlly important. Keep going with your a levels and try to get the best grades that you can. You rlly shouldn't be concerned about these things as they are massively over-exaggerated in the media. Have you told people in your life how you feel? That may help. This topic seems to be causing lots of anxiety for you so I would recommend getting help whether from a friend, family or mental health professional. Please just stick to your path and worry about the present
Reply 3
Original post by Zeddex2
i would suggest you look at it one of two ways in order to feel better about it

1. it is what it is, its inevitable and you cant really do anything about it so you might as well try your hardest. its not like your grades will become useless because of ai right after you sit them. besides your grades are something to be proud of especially with you predicted so highly.

2. ai will hopefully generate some new interesting careers and opportunities for people that you can take part in, and maybe something youd enjoy even more than what youre looking at now.

It is absolutely not going to make new careers- that’s exactly thr point of developing these demonic things: in the Industrial Revolution, yes, farmhands became factory workers, because the factories needed more ppl than farmers did. Ai doesn’t, AGI is coming, and the monster, Sam Altman, is developing it (I wish him every misery this world owns), AGI is the “perfectly median worker” who can do anything a human can, what new jobs will be made when the computer can do it? None, literally none, no jobs are going to be created because Ai is not meant to make them, this is a push to get ppl out of the office and at home, to live in lockdown 2,” owning nothing and being happy”. It’s abhorrent, and your acceptance upsets me
It's glorified predictive text at this stage. You'll be long dead before it has any widespread impact.

Quick Reply

Latest