https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf6FGMoeKyw

How to stand out from the crowd when applying to Oxford uni:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VGFIhhJu330

Supporting an Oxford applicant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBuPABOYz8&t=1383s

Oxford colleges: what, how and why to pick one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOTyzLsjF0

2024 admissions timeline:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/admissions-timeline

Personal statements bank:

https://thepersonalstatementbank.co.uk/

Oxford demystified (thank you Oxford Mum and anyone else involved in writing this):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480

Oxford college suggester:

http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/

Oxford’s very own website:

https://www.ox.ac.uk

Notes
1. The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room and are set up by members of the community. Please take this into account when entering your details into any of the forms. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please Ask The Community Staff.
2. Please do not use this thread to ask for group chat information or for sharing social media handles. The Student Room is a place for young people to connect safely online, it is a public website, by posting your social media details in this thread you are allowing everyone looking at the Internet to see your handles etc. To keep you, and all our other user's safe, TSR doesn't allow sharing of social media group chats. Any mentions of this will be removed. Thanks!

Good luck everyone!!!

A tracking form has been created so that you can see when offers/interviews are being given out.

Link to this year's form: https://forms.gle/C9XYE5UXWybYvm8CA
Please be aware you will need your TSR user ID to complete the form. If you don't know how to find this, click here.

2024 form responses:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JK-WpwMWrYkIjN_ww2tZclka4DvN_tZzXR0GybwPV_E/edit?usp=sharing

Note: All data you share is at your own risk, the forms and resources linked here are not controlled by The Student Room Group Ltd. If you have any issues, please tag a member of the Universities Volunteer team (in purple and cyan at the bottom of this page). For more information please click here.
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Welcome all new applicants and re applicants.Just a last minute reminder Oxford Open days are tomorrow and Thursday 29th of June.Do go along if you can it is the best way of getting a feel for if Oxford is for you and to check out some potential colleges you might end up applying to.
No booking just turn up.Timetables for subject talks are available on the website of University of Oxford and colleges will have their own meet the tutors set ups and accommodation tours.
There is a final open day on Sept 15th during Autumn term.(correction)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Welcome all new applicants and re applicants.Just a last minute reminder Oxford Open days are tomorrow and Thursday 29th of June.Do go along if you can it is the best way of getting a feel for if Oxford is for you and to check out some potential colleges you might end up applying to.
No booking just turn up.Timetables for subject talks are available on the website of University of Oxford and colleges will have their own meet the tutors set ups and accommodation tours.
There is a final open day on Sept 12th during Autumn term.

I’m pretty sure it’s Sept 15th in the Autumn term
In which case, that’s a Friday, so you may need to pull some strings with your sixth forms/colleges to get permission to go.
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’m pretty sure it’s Sept 15th in the Autumn term
In which case, that’s a Friday, so you may need to pull some strings with your sixth forms/colleges to get permission to go.

I think you are both correct. There is one in June and another in September. If you are considering Oxford I strongly recommend you to go along. You may be pleasantly surprised. I am a single mum, whose children were on free school meals at primary level. Yet when they went up to Oxford they were surprised by how welcoming the place was and with students of all nationalities and backgrounds. If you are very hard working and keen on your subject, why not apply?

thanks for setting up this thread @TypicalNerd and I hope students visiting this thread will benefit from talking to each other. Then there is scotney and I who will be happy to answer if we can.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Mum
I think you are both correct. There is one in June and another in September. If you are considering Oxford I strongly recommend you to go along. You may be pleasantly surprised. I am a single mum, whose children were on free school meals at primary level. Yet when they went up to Oxford they were surprised by how welcoming the place was and with students of all nationalities and backgrounds. If you are very hard working and keen on your subject, why not apply?

thanks for setting up this thread @TypicalNerd and I hope students visiting this thread will benefit from talking to each other. Then there is scotney and I who will be happy to answer if we can.

Absolutely agreed.

I’m also around if anyone has any questions regarding applying for chemistry at Oxford or reapplying to Oxford following an unsuccessful first attempt.

I will just point out there is a code of conduct and that will restrict what questions I am allowed to answer - especially in relation to interviews.
Reply 5
Absolutely agreed.

I’m also around if anyone has any questions regarding applying for chemistry at Oxford or reapplying to Oxford following an unsuccessful first attempt.

I will just point out there is a code of conduct and that will restrict what questions I am allowed to answer - especially in relation to interviews.

Well done
Oooh that time of year again! :biggrin:

Woosta (Worcester College) music alumna (2007-2010) here, won't be watching the thread that closely but do feel free to tag or PM me if you think I can help in anyway :musicus:
(edited 10 months ago)
Hello! Although i’ve also been active on the Cambridge thread I guess I’ll start off with answering.

* Subject applying for ~ History and French! (although I constantly feel a sense of non legitimacy in the French aspect and question if i should switch to English)
* College applying to ~ Whichever one best fits my disability needs, still looking into this.
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ I’m an Australian student so I’m taking the ATAR curriculum. My subjects are Modern History, French Second Language, Literature, Visual Arts, Psychology and Maths Applications
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ My state doesn’t do a formal predicted ATAR unfortunately, so I’m going to need to ask my school to do one. Hopefully it’s at least a 98.5!
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ Unfortunate story, I don’t have grades for Semester 2 of Year 9 to Semester 2 of Year 10. Another thing I’m worried is going to work against me..
* Why Oxford? ~ I’m still trying to figure out if I do want to apply to Oxford. If i do however it will be because the idea of being taught by experts in my favourite subject is extremely cool and I’ve always liked an academic challenge. Plus, 12 year old me discovered it was the oldest university in the UK and immediately fell in love with the idea of getting to see thousand year old architecture.
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ I’m not sure what this translates to in UK terminology but I go to a (religious) private school.

As is likely evident from my answers I’m not the most decisive person and have a lot of personal circumstances that don’t seem favor me, so I fear my odds are not great. Nonetheless, I can’t let myself not try!
Reply 8
Subject applying for ~ chemistry
* College applying to ~ Somerville
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ chemistry, mathematics, and philosophy
* Additional qualifications (if any) - EPQ
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 grade 9s
* Why Oxford? ~ I think that the small-scale tutorial system will suit me very well.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Somerville was lovely on the open day (and you're allowed to walk on the grass!).
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ state school.
subject applying for = Mathematics
college applying to = Hertford
A level equivalent(ISC) = physics, Mathematics, chemistry, computer science
other qualifications - icse
predicted grades = 98.5
Achieved case equivalent = 97.6
Subject applying for ~ Biochemistry
College applying to ~ New College probably, still debating with Exeter though.
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Biology, Chemistry, History, French
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*A*
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s
Why Oxford? ~ I love the city and it has the more specific science courses that I prefer, I’d initially been looking at Cambridge Natsci but decided that just biochemistry at Oxford was the better fit.
Reply 11
Original post by squiddy135
Subject applying for ~ Biochemistry
College applying to ~ New College probably, still debating with Exeter though.
A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ Biology, Chemistry, History, French
Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*A*
Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s
Why Oxford? ~ I love the city and it has the more specific science courses that I prefer, I’d initially been looking at Cambridge Natsci but decided that just biochemistry at Oxford was the better fit.

My daughter is at New and has a close friend reading Biochemistry. It's a lovely college!
Reply 12
Original post by jl51
Subject applying for ~ chemistry
* College applying to ~ Somerville
* A-Levels/ Equiv taking ~ chemistry, mathematics, and philosophy
* Additional qualifications (if any) - EPQ
* Predicted/ Achieved grades (A level/ eq)~ A*A*A*
* Achieved GCSE/ Equiv grades ~ 10 grade 9s
* Why Oxford? ~ I think that the small-scale tutorial system will suit me very well.
* Why that college? (if you know why) ~ Somerville was lovely on the open day (and you're allowed to walk on the grass!).
* State/Private/Grammar/Home ~ state school.

Chemistry is an amazing choice of course (no bias ofc) and Somerville has an amazing library, which makes it a good option imo. Furthermore, the two chemistry tutors at Somerville are wonderful.
https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/course/chemistry/

A little bit of (unsolicited) advice- I’d really recommend looking at getting hold of a copy of the book “Chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry”, if you can. It is really accessible and provides a nice introduction to some of the material covered in undergraduate chemistry courses. Furthermore, if you are taking the chemistry Olympiad, it provides really good explanations of some of the recurring topics, such as unit cells.
Reply 13
A new Oxford thread again, it comes round so so quick. Its amazing you guys are considering applying for Oxford. Its definitely worth putting in your top 5 for UCAS.
Reply 14
Hello, I’m a physics offer holder :smile: Fingers crossed my A Levels will be enough to go to uni T-T
Feel free to ask me anything about applying too
Original post by PAT_22
Hello, I’m a physics offer holder :smile: Fingers crossed my A Levels will be enough to go to uni T-T
Feel free to ask me anything about applying too

what were your a level predicted grades if you dont mind me asking
Reply 16
Original post by usereconomics
what were your a level predicted grades if you dont mind me asking

I do physics, chem, maths, further maths, predicted 4A* (well my school made us do maths A Level in year 12 if we’re FM people which I got an A* in so ye)
Original post by PAT_22
I do physics, chem, maths, further maths, predicted 4A* (well my school made us do maths A Level in year 12 if we’re FM people which I got an A* in so ye)

Will college did you apply to and why if you don’t mind saying. Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Will college did you apply to and why if you don’t mind saying. Thanks

LMH!
Reply 19
Chemistry is an amazing choice of course (no bias ofc) and Somerville has an amazing library, which makes it a good option imo. Furthermore, the two chemistry tutors at Somerville are wonderful.
https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/course/chemistry/

A little bit of (unsolicited) advice- I’d really recommend looking at getting hold of a copy of the book “Chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry”, if you can. It is really accessible and provides a nice introduction to some of the material covered in undergraduate chemistry courses. Furthermore, if you are taking the chemistry Olympiad, it provides really good explanations of some of the recurring topics, such as unit cells.

Brilliant, I'll look into that book. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending