The Student Room Group

I don’t think I should have been accepted to oxford

I’m a fresher at oxford, for fine art, i’ve been here for just over a week and i absolutely hate it. i miss my mum and my dog and my family. i have a few friends at uni that i like, as well as a guy in second year i knew before coming here who is also from wales that. we went on a coffee date and we talked and it was really helpful, but i’m convinced he’s going to get tired of me again and then i’ll be on my own completely. i understand absolutely nothing in our lectures and everyone else in the group seems to be much more confident in both their theory and history skills and their studio work. i just don’t see what anyone in that school saw in me to think i’m on the same level as everyone else here. i know it’s only been a week, but i’m so nervous i can’t eat anything and all i do when i get back to my room is cry. i can’t drop out already because term has only just started and i have no other way of getting on in my life. i hate this. i’ve been told it takes time to adjust and get used to it by everyone, but how long is it going to take? i just feel awful all the time and i don’t know how anyone else has done uni so easily. this is more of a rant than an ask for advice, i don’t know what km going to do with myself
Original post by wooden 55
I’m a fresher at oxford, for fine art, i’ve been here for just over a week and i absolutely hate it. i miss my mum and my dog and my family. i have a few friends at uni that i like, as well as a guy in second year i knew before coming here who is also from wales that. we went on a coffee date and we talked and it was really helpful, but i’m convinced he’s going to get tired of me again and then i’ll be on my own completely. i understand absolutely nothing in our lectures and everyone else in the group seems to be much more confident in both their theory and history skills and their studio work. i just don’t see what anyone in that school saw in me to think i’m on the same level as everyone else here. i know it’s only been a week, but i’m so nervous i can’t eat anything and all i do when i get back to my room is cry. i can’t drop out already because term has only just started and i have no other way of getting on in my life. i hate this. i’ve been told it takes time to adjust and get used to it by everyone, but how long is it going to take? i just feel awful all the time and i don’t know how anyone else has done uni so easily. this is more of a rant than an ask for advice, i don’t know what km going to do with myself

Just about everyone I know suffered from imposter syndrome at some point during their time at Oxford. It can take time to settle in and find a set of friends that you like and who like you. I would give it to at least the end of the first term. Oxford terms are only eight weeks and therefore you can get a long vacation with friends and family and pets at home at Christmas. If things get really bad you can always go and talk to welfare support within your college. Instead of going back to your room I would spend an hour in the JCR. You might be surprised at how many first years feel just like you.
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
Just about everyone I know suffered from imposter syndrome at some point during their time at Oxford. It can take time to settle in and find a set of friends that you like and who like you. I would give it to at least the end of the first term. Oxford terms are only eight weeks and therefore you can get a long vacation with friends and family and pets at home at Christmas. If things get really bad you can always go and talk to welfare support within your college. Instead of going back to your room I would spend an hour in the JCR. You might be surprised at how many first years feel just like you.

I would say thats true of not just Oxford but almost all Universities. A lot of whats in the OP's post isn't really specific to Oxford - give yourself some time - hang out with the other students and ease into it.
Reply 3
How are you getting on now?
Just came across your post and was wondering if you are now happy and settled?
Reply 4
Original post by wooden 55
How are you getting on so far? Hopefully you've been gradually finding out that all the bluster from privately educated kids is paper thin, just the confidence trick they're drilled in. When I'm there for research things I find Oxford alienating as well (not quite from Wales but near the borderlands!), but many fine people have come through with the same experience. You wouldn't have been accepted if you weren't smart enough to cut it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending