The Student Room Group

GCSEs and anxiety

I am currently in year 12 and I want to apply for Classics next year at Oxbridge. In my GCSEs I got 8s and 9s in everything, except for a 6 in drama. I know that for Cambridge my GCSEs probably won’t be an issue, but my 6 has been causing me a lot of anxiety to the point I feel sick and I’ve been spending too much time looking at statistics as I know most successful Oxford applicants won’t have any 6s. Looking at statistics isn’t particularly helpful as obviously it doesn’t give a full picture of why candidates weren’t invited to interview or given an offer, but I’ve become quite obsessive about it. Would my 6 make a significant difference at Oxford, and does anyone have any advice on how to stop stressing over something I can’t change and start focusing on excelling in the areas of my application that I can still affect?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am currently in year 12 and I want to apply for Classics next year at Oxbridge. In my GCSEs I got 8s and 9s in everything, except for a 6 in drama. I know that for Cambridge my GCSEs probably won’t be an issue, but my 6 has been causing me a lot of anxiety to the point I feel sick and I’ve been spending too much time looking at statistics as I know most successful Oxford applicants won’t have any 6s. Looking at statistics isn’t particularly helpful as obviously it doesn’t give a full picture of why candidates weren’t invited to interview or given an offer, but I’ve become quite obsessive about it. Would my 6 make a significant difference at Oxford, and does anyone have any advice on how to stop stressing over something I can’t change and start focusing on excelling in the areas of my application that I can still affect?

I just wanted to say your feelings of stress are totally valid and I understand how you feel. I’ve just started university (1st year) and when I was applying for universities I was also worried how certain subjects could affect my application. In my experience, universities don’t tend to take too much notice of your GCSE results, as long as you have a good average across all of them. Especially a drama GCSE, it isn’t too relevant to the study of Classics so I feel as though you don’t have to worry too much about this. Try to focus on what is in front of you, you cannot change the past. Do your best in your A levels, keep studying, and focus on preparing for Oxbridge interviews and the exam that you’ll have to take. Remember what your end goal is, and do your best to achieve it. Don’t be too hard on yourself and thinking about the past, it’s out of your control. Focus on what is in your control! You’ve got this, good luck :smile:
No, it won't matter.
Original post by Anonymous #1

My cousin applied to LSE BSc Economics with 16 applicants per place and had 6s in Design and Technology and French with 9s and 8s in everything else and still got made an A star A A offer. 🙂
I highly doubt it would kill your chances of an offer, especially as it’s in a subject that’s not really related to Classics. A friend of mine was accepted for French and German at Oxford with a B in Maths 🙂
(edited 4 months ago)
Bro your good dont worry💀 im in foundation maths and science and i think im getting in (im not)
Original post by hannychica
I highly doubt it would kill your chances of an offer, especially as it’s in a subject that’s not really related to Classics. A friend of mine was accepted for French and German at Oxford with a B in Maths 🙂

I agree that the grade 6 in Drama will have no negative impact on an application to study Classics at university. I add, however, that Drama can be related to Classics. I say this because the earliest plays which survive are those written in Classical Greece in the fifth century BCE, and those plays are still performed and studied. It may be that earlier cultures had plays, but they haven't survived.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending