The Student Room Group

Oxford with bad english lit grade

I received an 6 in English lit and a 9 in lang. The rest of my grades were mostly 9s and a few 8s. I am applying for Comp Sci and Philosophy at Oxford, and wonder if my English lit GCSE will place me at a disadvantage - considering I do not do any essay based subjects.

In my grade breakdown, I actually received an 8 in paper 1, but felt very sick on the day of paper 2, which seriously brought my grade down. Do I need to let them know about that?
Original post by etherealstars
I received an 6 in English lit and a 9 in lang. The rest of my grades were mostly 9s and a few 8s. I am applying for Comp Sci and Philosophy at Oxford, and wonder if my English lit GCSE will place me at a disadvantage - considering I do not do any essay based subjects.

In my grade breakdown, I actually received an 8 in paper 1, but felt very sick on the day of paper 2, which seriously brought my grade down. Do I need to let them know about that?

Hi there,

As far as I understand, that really depends on what's your school average, since Oxford contextualises your grades - read a short explanation here. So it's really hard to say. In any case, you still got a passing mark and universities care and will look at much more than your GCSEs so don't be discouraged to apply!

You don't need to let them know about how you felt sick during one of the exams - they won't care for this information if you can't back it up, and you can't back this up with evidence unless you informed the exam board when you were meant to. But as I said above, it's OK, don't worry about it too much,

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I also got a 6 in English lit and I got in. I was applying for a French degree in literature made up well over 50% of the content. So yeah, you're probably fine as long as your predicted A levels and everything else are good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending