The Student Room Group

Work experience for vet med 2023 application for 2024 entry

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask about peoples stats going into the vet med application this year. For example your grades, work experience, hobbies/extracurriculars and anything else ! Also did anyone else notice some unis changed their grade requirements, I swear last year Surrey was AAB and now it is AAA! not a problem but just interesting
Reply 1
Original post by milliewest4
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask about peoples stats going into the vet med application this year. For example your grades, work experience, hobbies/extracurriculars and anything else ! Also did anyone else notice some unis changed their grade requirements, I swear last year Surrey was AAB and now it is AAA! not a problem but just interesting

Honestly it is so confusing, all the unis look for different stuff e.g. some don't even look at personal statements where as others its all they look at. I'm so confused. Also just to double check none of the vet med unis require tests (e.g. BMAT or UCAT), except for Cambridge right?
Reply 2
Original post by -mia-
Honestly it is so confusing, all the unis look for different stuff e.g. some don't even look at personal statements where as others its all they look at. I'm so confused. Also just to double check none of the vet med unis require tests (e.g. BMAT or UCAT), except for Cambridge right?

Yeah, I think you're right, btw how much work experience do you have?
Original post by -mia-

Yeah I think u are right
Original post by Flappy

I know u weren’t asking me but I’ll answer anyway lol. I have done 1 week farm/rare breeds centre, 1 week lambing (but he still hasn’t written my reference even tho did it in feb😭), 1 week stables, 1 week at a small animal clinic, 0.5 week another small animal clinic, 0.5 Turkey farm (not sure if I’m able to use as dealing with dead ones 😭) and then I am getting 2 days at a equine clinic hopefully. So not looking too good. I have also done the online futurelearn one but didn’t take a screenshot of the end so might have to do it again. What about u guys
Reply 5
Original post by Milliewest2
I know u weren’t asking me but I’ll answer anyway lol. I have done 1 week farm/rare breeds centre, 1 week lambing (but he still hasn’t written my reference even tho did it in feb😭), 1 week stables, 1 week at a small animal clinic, 0.5 week another small animal clinic, 0.5 Turkey farm (not sure if I’m able to use as dealing with dead ones 😭) and then I am getting 2 days at a equine clinic hopefully. So not looking too good. I have also done the online futurelearn one but didn’t take a screenshot of the end so might have to do it again. What about u guys

If you're applying to the RVC, then I think you have enough work experience, atleast non-clinically you'll probably need like 1 or 2 more days for clinical, unless you have over 70hrs already. I've also done the futurelearn course.
I've done 1 week mixed animal farm, 1 week stables and I have lined up 1 week at two different clinics (2 weeks altogether), so I'm scared of it not being enough.
Original post by Flappy
If you're applying to the RVC, then I think you have enough work experience, atleast non-clinically you'll probably need like 1 or 2 more days for clinical, unless you have over 70hrs already. I've also done the futurelearn course.
I've done 1 week mixed animal farm, 1 week stables and I have lined up 1 week at two different clinics (2 weeks altogether), so I'm scared of it not being enough.

Thanks so much for your reply ! I should have 70 hours clinical if the equine practice counts as it is shadowing equine vet not like working at a stables like my other one ! I could also get a bit more at a different stables but that wouldn’t be clinical. But I’m still not sure if I am gonna apply I am torn between vet and physio. They are such different careers and I just don’t know what to do. I have done work experience in vets as mentioned above but also done work experience in hospitals for physio ! Still not sure what to do, as theoretically I love the job role of a vet more than physio and could imagine myself working in any aspect of vet and loving it and also love academics and learning about it etc but I could also imagine myself being a physio but mainly in a private or sports setting which isn’t very common to work in anyway as most physios work in nhs. Also I don’t think I have the personality to work as a physio especially in the NHS. But I could imagine myself being a vet. The only thing putting me off vet is during my clinical work experience most of the vets said not to be a vet and that the work life balance is awful and if u have any other interests then pursue those interests and I can’t stop thinking about it. But at the same time a lot of people told me not to take chemistry a level for example as it’s so difficult but I am so glad I did as I love ot ! So part of me is a bit hesitant but at the same time it feels like it’s what I am meant to do in life. But as soon as I think I come to a decision I switch it up and change my mind 😭 any advice ? 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Milliewest2
Thanks so much for your reply ! I should have 70 hours clinical if the equine practice counts as it is shadowing equine vet not like working at a stables like my other one ! I could also get a bit more at a different stables but that wouldn’t be clinical. But I’m still not sure if I am gonna apply I am torn between vet and physio. They are such different careers and I just don’t know what to do. I have done work experience in vets as mentioned above but also done work experience in hospitals for physio ! Still not sure what to do, as theoretically I love the job role of a vet more than physio and could imagine myself working in any aspect of vet and loving it and also love academics and learning about it etc but I could also imagine myself being a physio but mainly in a private or sports setting which isn’t very common to work in anyway as most physios work in nhs. Also I don’t think I have the personality to work as a physio especially in the NHS. But I could imagine myself being a vet. The only thing putting me off vet is during my clinical work experience most of the vets said not to be a vet and that the work life balance is awful and if u have any other interests then pursue those interests and I can’t stop thinking about it. But at the same time a lot of people told me not to take chemistry a level for example as it’s so difficult but I am so glad I did as I love ot ! So part of me is a bit hesitant but at the same time it feels like it’s what I am meant to do in life. But as soon as I think I come to a decision I switch it up and change my mind 😭 any advice ? 😂

First of all, I've emailed the RVC admissions probably 15 times and they're most likely getting sick of me, shadowing definitely counts as work experience, so yeah it would. I was torn between marine biology and veterinary medicine, but I decided I don't really want my earnings to be so unreliable and small, also I decided that I actually just enjoy looking at fish and probably don't want to be a marine biologist, finally when I made a post on reddit and was told that after a certain someone had gained a degree in marine biology that they joined the "construction industry" (?!?!) I realised I don't want that.

I also get what you mean by people saying not to pick chemistry, but honestly you should just ignore them, because I nearly didn't pick it, just because it was hard and am so happy I did, because now I can be a vet and I love animals so much and am willing to take on the hardships.
Reply 8
hello!! i currently am predicted a 776 for my hl and also 776 for my sl, meaning i have 40/42 for my final ib grade excluding the 3 core points. i have done 90 hours for clinical hours, and 59 for non-clinical. i'm applying to rvc so i have to find a way to fufill 11 hours of non-clinical experience asap :,)

Original post by milliewest4
Reply 9
Original post by Flappy

I have one week at an equine stable and 1 week at a farm park and then worked every Saturday for 6 months at a vet practice. Also are there any other forms or work experience forms you have to fill out before the 15th of October deadline. I have read thought all the uni websites so don't think I missed anything but just want to make 100% sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending