The Student Room Group

private candidate GCSE and a-level thread

hey, i have made a safe space for everyone to ask anything and anyone about self-studying.
i'll introduce myself and whoever wants to, can also introduce themselves.
so, i have been studying with oxbridge home learning and been taking AQA psychology, AQA sociology, OCR religious studies since January and wanted to originally become a mental health or adult nurse or even a social worker but when i was back in college, i always had the idea of being a sonographer / ultrasound imaging. so, in august this year i will start to study for AQA biology as well and i will be taking all my exams in 2025.
i am also taking igcse biology for definite but also considering igcse physics & chemistry.. idk if thats possible though lol. it will be so much!!
hopefully i can take the igcses in 2024 maybe aha
if you have any questions please feel free to ask or even introduce yourselves :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by alevelstudent090
hey, i have made a safe space for everyone to ask anything and anyone about self-studying.
i'll introduce myself and whoever wants to, can also introduce themselves.
so, i have been studying with oxbridge home learning and been taking AQA psychology, AQA sociology, OCR religious studies since January and wanted to originally become a mental health or adult nurse or even a social worker but when i was back in college, i always had the idea of being a sonographer / ultrasound imaging. so, in august this year i will start to study for AQA biology as well and i will be taking all my exams in 2025.
i am also taking igcse biology for definite but also considering igcse physics & chemistry.. idk if thats possible though lol. it will be so much!!
hopefully i can take the igcses in 2024 maybe aha
if you have any questions please feel free to ask or even introduce yourselves :smile:

Hi! I was wondering how you would do AQA Biology/Chemistry at home as they have required practicals that you must carry out. And also, if studying at home, how does one get a reference for UCAS and if you want to study medicine for university, can you self-study at home? I'd also like to ask when and where should someone apply to actually take the exams? Thank you!! Sorry for so many questions. I'm not familiar with studying at home at all!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Shambles20
Hi! I was wondering how you would do AQA Biology/Chemistry at home as they have required practicals that you must carry out. And also, if studying at home, how does one get a reference for UCAS and if you want to study medicine for university, can you self-study at home? I'd also like to ask when and where should someone apply to actually take the exams? Thank you!! Sorry for so many questions. I'm not familiar with studying at home at all!

hi! im going to be taking biology too!! i have looked into
https://oxbridgehomelearning.uk/course/a-level-biology
you can select the practical option too and if you phone them you can ask them where the nearest practical centre is to you :smile:
they’re really friendly. they also write your academic reference just not your personal reference (idk what the difference is) .
no problem! u can ask me what you like:smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
hi! im going to be taking biology too!! i have looked into
https://oxbridgehomelearning.uk/course/a-level-biology
you can select the practical option too and if you phone them you can ask them where the nearest practical centre is to you :smile:
they’re really friendly. they also write your academic reference just not your personal reference (idk what the difference is) .
no problem! u can ask me what you like:smile:

Thank You! I'll have a look
Thank You! I'll have a look

also if you can’t afford it, you can have a loan:smile: i use the loan and it works perfectly! £163 for 3 of my a levels for a year
Reply 5
also if you can’t afford it, you can have a loan:smile: i use the loan and it works perfectly! £163 for 3 of my a levels for a year

Thanks and how do you get you UCAS predicted grades?
Thanks and how do you get you UCAS predicted grades?

no worries. you have to complete assignments and they will give you grades and feedback on how you need to improve. you will also get powerpoint slides per unit for your subjects too:smile:. they will use an average based on the grades you got for your assignments. you will complete quite a bit but it isn't that many. for example, if you got mainly As and Cs, ur most likely going to get a B (i believe). i could be wrong for that example though.
have you thought about applying?

Quick Reply

Latest