The Student Room Group

GCSE

Guys I'm going to resit all my GCSE next year and I'm determined to get really good grades this time are my old bad results going to be still saved I mean if I get good grades I don't want the unis can see the old ones... are they still saved btw??
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Guys I'm going to resit all my GCSE next year and I'm determined to get really good grades this time are my old bad results going to be still saved I mean if I get good grades I don't want the unis can see the old ones... are they still saved btw??

When you apply to university you'll be required to provide both your original GCSE grades and you updated GCSE grades on your UCAS application. UCAS make this obligation very clear.
Reply 2
If I get A's in my re-sit results and had really bad grades in my last result is that gonna affect my application?
Please let me know
Thanks
If I get A's in my re-sit results and had really bad grades in my last result is that gonna affect my application?
Please let me know
Thanks

Potentially, but not significantly.

Most unis use GCSEs as a "filter" for candidates. They might mandate a grade C/4 in each of Maths and English, for example. Candidate who don't meet those requirements are rejected. The others then move onto the next stage and have other aspects of their application scrutinised. Some unis will include GCSE grades as part of the way they rate/rank candidates. For example, for most of the courses at Bristol I've looked at they say they use a 20% GCSE to 80% A levels weighting when "scoring" candidates. When doing this, I feel sure that they'd look at your most recent GCSE grades.

The scenario where it might be an issue is if you were on a "maybe" pile of 10 candidates, and they only had space to make 5 more offers. If these 10 candidates look pretty similar on paper, they might use the fact that you'd need to retake your GCSEs to filter you out in preference for a candidate who didn't. But that would only apply when you were being directly compared with other candidates as you were "borderline" in terms of an offer / no offer decision.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia

Most unis use GCSEs as a "filter" for candidates. They might mandate a grade C/4 in each of Maths and English, for example. Candidate who don't meet those requirements are rejected. The others then move onto the next stage and have other aspects of their application scrutinised. Some unis will include GCSE grades as part of the way they rate/rank candidates. For example, for most of the courses at Bristol I've looked at they say they use a 20% GCSE to 80% A levels weighting when "scoring" candidates. When doing this, I feel sure that they'd look at your most recent GCSE grades.

The scenario where it might be an issue is if you were on a "maybe" pile of 10 candidates, and they only had space to make 5 more offers. If these 10 candidates look pretty similar on paper, they might use the fact that you'd need to retake your GCSEs to filter you out in preference for a candidate who didn't. But that would only apply when you were being directly compared with other candidates as you were "borderline" in terms of an offer / no offer decision.

Thanks a lot for replying.

I moved from Italy in 2021 I was meant to go to Year 10 but cuz of language problems I was put in Year 9, I just attended 2 months, then I went into Year 10 but we had lockdown for a few months like just 2, then I went into Year 11 and gave Gcse this year and failed most of them now because I couldn't get my 1st choice A level choices I will be resitting all my gcse as I wasn't happy with my grades at all and feel confident in studying independently with tutors and tuition etc... and give gcse next year and then finally join Sixth Form. By the time I join Sixth form I will be 18 years old is that a problem will I have any disadvantages or is it fine? Will unis mind my age even if I have goood grades and high? Or do they just look at grades? Again can i normally join sixth form at 18
Reply 5

If I resit GCSE geography after studying independently how am I going to answer the case study questions I mean if I was studying at school I would go on a trip etc... how does it work?

I moved from Italy in 2021 I was meant to go to Year 10 but cuz of language problems I was put in Year 9, I just attended 2 months, then I went into Year 10 but we had lockdown for a few months like just 2, then I went into Year 11 and gave Gcse this year and failed most of them now because I couldn't get my 1st choice A level choices I will be resitting all my gcse as I wasn't happy with my grades at all and feel confident in studying independently with tutors and tuition etc... and give gcse next year and then finally join Sixth Form. By the time I join Sixth form I will be 18 years old is that a problem will I have any disadvantages or is it fine? Will unis mind my age even if I have goood grades and high? Or do they just look at grades? Again can i normally join sixth form at 18

You won’t be old whatsoever :smile: you will be 20 when going into University if you decide. Don’t worry okay 👍🏻
If I resit GCSE geography after studying independently how am I going to answer the case study questions I mean if I was studying at school I would go on a trip etc... how does it work?

You don’t have to re take geography, maybe you can learn a new GCSE.
Reply 8
Original post by futuremedgirl
You don’t have to re take geography, maybe you can learn a new GCSE.

Got it but lets say i get all 9's (InshAllah) when i resit my GCSE and i don't resit geography and that 3 comes on my new result again... I don't want thattt
Got it but lets say i get all 9's (InshAllah) when i resit my GCSE and i don't resit geography and that 3 comes on my new result again... I don't want thattt

You could do a different exam board that doesn’t contain field work?

Most students join the sixth form attached to their school, or a sixth form college, when they are 16 (turning 17 that academic year). Different sixth forms will have different policies with regards to accepting students who are older than that.

For example, a quick bit of googling finds the following example policies:

Students will be admitted into the Sixth Form at age 16 where the school agrees it is able to offer a resource for the student, a programme of study from which he or she will benefit.
Students must be 16 or 17 years of age on 31 August of the year in which their A level programme commences.
"Enrolment from the age of 17/18 is at the discretion of the site Principal who will take into account the students most recent academic results. In most cases students will only be accepted onto Vocational level 3 courses unless there are exceptional circumstances." (The phrase "vocational level 3 courses" refers to BTECs and the like, not A levels.)

I would therefore strongly suggest that you find a local sixth form which would be happy to accept you at 18 before you take a full year to retake all your GCSEs.

It's not just answering questions you need to worry about, it's the field trips themselves. Check the web site for the exam board you'll be using. AQA have this to day about private candidates and their Geography GCSE:

"Private candidates entered for this specification must comply with the requirements set out in Section B: Fieldwork. This states that fieldwork must take place outside school grounds on two separate occasions.

The head of the AQA-approved school or college the private candidate is entering with must sign a written statement confirming the candidate has completed fieldwork. This could be through evidence presented by the candidate and questioning about the fieldwork enquiry, or by a teacher from the centre supervising the candidate's fieldwork activity." (source)

So you'd have to arrange fieldwork, either through the exam centre where you'll be taking your Geography exams or independently.
It's not just answering questions you need to worry about, it's the field trips themselves. Check the web site for the exam board you'll be using. AQA have this to day about private candidates and their Geography GCSE:

"Private candidates entered for this specification must comply with the requirements set out in Section B: Fieldwork. This states that fieldwork must take place outside school grounds on two separate occasions.

The head of the AQA-approved school or college the private candidate is entering with must sign a written statement confirming the candidate has completed fieldwork. This could be through evidence presented by the candidate and questioning about the fieldwork enquiry, or by a teacher from the centre supervising the candidate's fieldwork activity." (source)

So you'd have to arrange fieldwork, either through the exam centre where you'll be taking your Geography exams or independently.

Sorry what is the source about as I cant open the link.
Sorry what is the source about as I cant open the link.

The source is a web page on the AQA web site:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/gcse/geography-8035/general-administration

The page is at "Home / Subjects / Geography / GCSE / Geography (8035) / General administration" and is therefore specifically about the administration of GCSE Geography. The text I have quoted in near the bottom of the page:

AQA - GCSE - Geography - Administration - Header.PNG

AQA - GCSE - Geography - Administration - Private Candidates.PNG

Quick Reply

Latest