The Student Room Group

Trainee Legal Advisor - MOJ 2023

Hello recently completed the interview for the this role and thought I did well with the behaviours and strenghts but messed up on the legal assessment. I was sent the pre-reading just 2 days before the interview.

does any1 know how the legal assessment is marked or is it straight fail or pass

I am assuming a fail on the legal assessment would mean unsuccessful interview regardless of how well you do in the rest of the interview?

or if you fail the legal assessment or get low marks in it do you get placed on the reserve list?

doesn't any1 know how this a works

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hello, Zichan.

I've started a similar thread (you can see it below) a few days ago.

I've been eagerly waiting to hear how others fared in their assessments. By the way, if you're wondering, I am totally in the same boat as you - I'm not even sure where I messed up during my assessment.

In my case, the interview felt like a never-ending monologue. I was left talking and talking, but only one extra question came my way. Looking back, I know I could have done better. It's like all these 'brilliant' ideas decided to pop up into my head AFTER the interview when the pressure finally eased up. Urgh!

Unlike you, I'm clueless about what the assessors were really looking for in terms of behaviours and strengths as well. I mean, it felt like trying to 'decipher' a secret code or something.

It's a total wild guess on my part, but here's what I am thinking: maybe each answer we give, whether about behaviours, strengths or tackling the legal scenario, carries a certain number of points. And, let's not forget about the whole application we submitted beforehand - those points count too. So, they probably add them all up and compare our scores against everyone else's.

Now, this is where it gets tricky, I think. If the competition is super fierce, even getting a high score might not be enough. it would be like a game: 'who's the best from the best'! On the flip side, if the competition isn't as cutthroat, a decent score could possibly land you an offer or maybe even a high spot on the reserve list.

Anyway, that's my 'two cents' on how this whole recruitment process might work. Again, it is pure speculation on my part.

Has the message on your application centre portal changed to anything different from the initial interview confirmation yet?
I had my interview a few weeks ago and I felt the exact same - I definitely messed up on the scenario. I also felt like I was just talking and talking… it felt like an exam! When do you think we would hear back? I’m assuming the worst…
I was told during the interview (and it is written in the job description/ad for the position) that offers will be extended in September.

Has your application status at the application centre changed yet to anything different from confirmation for the interview?

Thanks.
Ah I was told in the interview we could hear back from 12th July… realistically it will be September I think! Mine is still showing the confirmation of interview.
Thanks, SmileyFace.

Appreciated. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Johnny345678
Hello, Zichan.

I've started a similar thread (you can see it below) a few days ago.

I've been eagerly waiting to hear how others fared in their assessments. By the way, if you're wondering, I am totally in the same boat as you - I'm not even sure where I messed up during my assessment.

In my case, the interview felt like a never-ending monologue. I was left talking and talking, but only one extra question came my way. Looking back, I know I could have done better. It's like all these 'brilliant' ideas decided to pop up into my head AFTER the interview when the pressure finally eased up. Urgh!

Unlike you, I'm clueless about what the assessors were really looking for in terms of behaviours and strengths as well. I mean, it felt like trying to 'decipher' a secret code or something.

It's a total wild guess on my part, but here's what I am thinking: maybe each answer we give, whether about behaviours, strengths or tackling the legal scenario, carries a certain number of points. And, let's not forget about the whole application we submitted beforehand - those points count too. So, they probably add them all up and compare our scores against everyone else's.

Now, this is where it gets tricky, I think. If the competition is super fierce, even getting a high score might not be enough. it would be like a game: 'who's the best from the best'! On the flip side, if the competition isn't as cutthroat, a decent score could possibly land you an offer or maybe even a high spot on the reserve list.

Anyway, that's my 'two cents' on how this whole recruitment process might work. Again, it is pure speculation on my part.

Has the message on your application centre portal changed to anything different from the initial interview confirmation yet?

My advice now is to forget (i know easier said) how well you think you performed - my mindset has been whether i pass or failed - it was good a experience and theres always next year. the behaviours are each marked out of 7 so 28 and the strengths are marked out of 4 so 24. But from my research ive not found any answer how the legal assessment is marked but i think it surely must be a pass or fail. Its so annoying that theres v little info on the legal assessment marking but oh well.

Mine is still showing the interview confirmation on status which is annoying - Recruitment must be working v slowly lool
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to provide a quick update on my current situation.

I reached out to the Ministry of Justice Live Chat and was informed that the vacancy managers have not yet inputted my interview score into the system. Unfortunately, they advised 'there is no specific time frame given for when this will be done'.

As of now, I am still waiting for any further communication from them.

They mentioned that once the scores are updated, I will receive an email notifying me whether I was successful at the interview stage.

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced a change in your current status at the application centre? For me, it still shows 'confirmation for an interview'.
This is what mine says:
'Your first round assessment for the 73040 73040 - Trainee Legal Adviser - The North West position is confirmed'
Yes.

The same here. This is the interview confirmation.

Thanks for your reply.

The wait goes on! Hang in there!
Mine has now changed so ‘thank you for attending your interview’, we will let you know the next stage shortly’ - anyone else?
No for me, mine is still the same.
Mine is still the same.
Mine has now change, fingers crossed
Mine has changed too.
Reply 15
What area did you guys apply to ?
I applied for south west region 🙂
North West
North West.
Mine says this:

Thank you very much for attending the recent interview.

We will be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending