The Student Room Group

Want to set up multiple businesses need help with tax etc

So I want to create multiple businesses - a tutoring company, a digital marketing agency and a charity. If a create one private limited company e.g. ABC Limited can I then create 'sub' businesses under this name i.e. ABC tutoring owned by ABC limited? Would those businesses still benefit from the limited liability and when doing taxes do we do it for the company as a whole i.e. ABC limited or for each individual company e.g. ABC tutoring, ABC Marketing etc?
Original post by Rohan007best
So I want to create multiple businesses - a tutoring company, a digital marketing agency and a charity. If a create one private limited company e.g. ABC Limited can I then create 'sub' businesses under this name i.e. ABC tutoring owned by ABC limited? Would those businesses still benefit from the limited liability and when doing taxes do we do it for the company as a whole i.e. ABC limited or for each individual company e.g. ABC tutoring, ABC Marketing etc?

You can do it either way, depending on what suits your needs.

If you create separate limited companies, then they are legally separate in terms of liability and taxes. So ABC Tutoring Ltd could run into financial difficulties and ultimately be dissolved without impacting the other companies. That's a good thing. However, each company also has to file accounts, pay corporation tax, account for VAT (if applicable), etc. etc. That's a lot of admin.

If you want to reduce the administrative burden, then you'd create a single limited company and have ABC Tutoring, ABC Digital Marketing etc. as brands of ABC Limited. However, this means that if ABC Tutoring ran into financial difficulties, it would impact each other brand as there's really only one limited company.

Regardless of the route you take, I'd recommend you get an accountant. They will save you more money than they cost.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

If you create separate limited companies, then they are legally separate in terms of liability and taxes. So ABC Tutoring Ltd could run into financial difficulties and ultimately be dissolved without impacting the other companies. That's a good thing. However, each company also has to file accounts, pay corporation tax, account for VAT (if applicable), etc. etc. That's a lot of admin.

If you want to reduce the administrative burden, then you'd create a single limited company and have ABC Tutoring, ABC Digital Marketing etc. as brands of ABC Limited. However, this means that if ABC Tutoring ran into financial difficulties, it would impact each other brand as there's really only one limited company.

Regardless of the route you take, I'd recommend you get an accountant. They will save you more money than they cost.

thanks for that much appreciated :smile: just wanted to ask aswel I intend to create a separate social media based account on Instagram and youtube promoting educational/cultural content and intend to make money off ads/merch sales could I register this as a brand from the company e.g. ABC media. Will this mean that all the revenue from all the brands will be the total revenue of ABC limited and there will just be one tax?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

Did u c my message?
Original post by Rohan007best
Did u c my message?

I did, but I didn't notice a question there at the time. Did you edit it to add the question later?

Anyway, the answer to your question is "yes" (i.e. "all the revenue from all the brands will be the total revenue of ABC limited and there will just be one tax").

Note, by the way, that you'll pay more tax using a single company if that company's profits ever exceed £50,000. (Five companies with profits of £50,000 each pay19% in corporation tax; one company with profits of £250,000 pays 25% in corporation tax.) It's for reasons like this that I recommended you get an accountant involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending