The Student Room Group

JLI Essay Contest 2023 Shortlist

Please write here as soon as you receive a shortlist email regarding the contest. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

Not quite what OP was after but I received the email back to say that I wasn't shortlisted for the History competition (and, may I add, congratulations are very much in order for those who were).

However, this year they noted in the email that all entrants to the competition, not just those who were shortlisted, were to be invited to the JLI weekend in Oxford. Just looking around TSR I don't know if this has actually happened before.

Is inviting everyone something they just do every year, as it seems like quite a big U-turn?
Hi! Shortlisted candidate here for psychology.
Original post by Señor Ivan
Hi there,

Not quite what OP was after but I received the email back to say that I wasn't shortlisted for the History competition (and, may I add, congratulations are very much in order for those who were).

However, this year they noted in the email that all entrants to the competition, not just those who were shortlisted, were to be invited to the JLI weekend in Oxford. Just looking around TSR I don't know if this has actually happened before.

Is inviting everyone something they just do every year, as it seems like quite a big U-turn?

I think they meant that anyone could come to the award ceremony because they follow it up with:
"If you come to Oxford for the prize-giving event I hope you will also join us for an invitation-only academic conference."
It seems like the academic conference and such are on an invitation-basis but anything before that is for anyone who wants to join!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Please write here as soon as you receive a shortlist email regarding the contest. Thanks :smile:

hi i got shortlisted for eco
Hi, shortlisted for philosophy :smile:
Reply 6
In ur most recent email, did it say u were a finalist im confused whether its shortlisted or finalist. I got shortlisted for philosophy too
Original post by ck12889
In ur most recent email, did it say u were a finalist im confused whether its shortlisted or finalist. I got shortlisted for philosophy too

I’m not 100% sure, but so far I think that all shortlist invitations opened with the word “finalist” in the first sentence. Which topic did you choose? Congrats btw!
Reply 8
tyy!! you too. i did question 2 in philosophy wby?
Original post by ck12889
tyy!! you too. i did question 2 in philosophy wby?

Me too! Are you coming to Oxford next month?
Reply 10
omg really what did u write about? i did mine from a medicine perspective. Yeh hopefully coming to oxford wby?

Original post by sophiethebird
Me too! Are you coming to Oxford next month?
Original post by ck12889
omg really what did u write about? i did mine from a medicine perspective. Yeh hopefully coming to oxford wby?

I’m coming to the full Saturday and Sunday morning briefing but not the dinner on Friday. Your take sounds really interesting! I didn’t approach it from a particular perspective, but I started by analysing if there is even a self to begin with, and then argued that persistence is a necessary narrative illusion that we can’t really prove exists, but that’s still essential to us. So basically “we do persist but not in the way that has conventionally been accepted” with a focus on narratives and perception.
Reply 12
I’m coming to the full Saturday and Sunday morning briefing but not the dinner on Friday. Your take sounds really interesting! I didn’t approach it from a particular perspective, but I started by analysing if there is even a self to begin with, and then argued that persistence is a necessary narrative illusion that we can’t really prove exists, but that’s still essential to us. So basically “we do persist but not in the way that has conventionally been accepted” with a focus on narratives and perception.

yehh that sounds very interesting!!
same only coming to the Saturday and Sunday morning briefing but not the dinner on Friday. I'm still trying to get the tickets though. Do you know how many people are shortlisted this year?
Original post by ck12889
yehh that sounds very interesting!!
same only coming to the Saturday and Sunday morning briefing but not the dinner on Friday. I'm still trying to get the tickets though. Do you know how many people are shortlisted this year?

There seems to be a lot of ppl shortlisted if you check the other forums here, but idk. I would say not more than 30 per category? Maybe I’m way off… If you check the prizewinners and high commendations from last year there’s around 20 in total for each category, but then there are also candidates who only received a commendation who aren’t named.

Did you write primarily about the Transplant Problem?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 14
yeh i keep seeing loads of people being shortlisted, i feel like cause a whole load more people participated this year so they had to shortlist more. yeh and the psychology list from last year has 3 pages of names lmao.
I wrote more to do with how the convectional ways we establish continuity from a medicine perspective is not enough, so i talked about DNA and neural connectivity and mentioned john locke aswell loll
Also where are you from like do u have to travel to come to oxford?

There seems to be a lot of ppl shortlisted if you check the other forums here, but idk. I would say not more than 30 per category? Maybe I’m way off… If you check the prizewinners and high commendations from last year there’s around 20 in total for each category, but then there are also candidates who only received a commendation who aren’t named.

Did you write primarily about the Transplant Problem?
Original post by ck12889
yeh i keep seeing loads of people being shortlisted, i feel like cause a whole load more people participated this year so they had to shortlist more. yeh and the psychology list from last year has 3 pages of names lmao.
I wrote more to do with how the convectional ways we establish continuity from a medicine perspective is not enough, so i talked about DNA and neural connectivity and mentioned john locke aswell loll
Also where are you from like do u have to travel to come to oxford?

Impossible not to mention the memory criterion. I got so sick of typing these two words at one point that i just took a whole week off doing it and then rushed it at 11pm the night of. And i was late entry asw because I completely forgot I registered for this competition 💀

I go to boarding school in London so I’ll just take a train :smile: wby?
Reply 16
bro omg literallyy i was late entry too ahaha. I j always do things better under pressure so i purposely left it for the night before but then i couldnt finish it in 1 night. I go to a sixthform in hitchin hertfordshire so yeh prolly either take the train or j get my dad to drive

Impossible not to mention the memory criterion. I got so sick of typing these two words at one point that i just took a whole week off doing it and then rushed it at 11pm the night of. And i was late entry asw because I completely forgot I registered for this competition 💀

I go to boarding school in London so I’ll just take a train :smile: wby?
Original post by ck12889
bro omg literallyy i was late entry too ahaha. I j always do things better under pressure so i purposely left it for the night before but then i couldnt finish it in 1 night. I go to a sixthform in hitchin hertfordshire so yeh prolly either take the train or j get my dad to drive

Nicee Are you y12 or y13?
Reply 18
Nicee Are you y12 or y13?

y12 going into yr 13 wby?
Original post by ck12889
y12 going into yr 13 wby?

Me too- I was asking bc I was wondering if you’re thinking of applying to Oxford asw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending