The Student Room Group

Oxford Colleges

Hi,
I've been doing some research on which Oxford College I would like to apply to, with Balliol seeming to come out on top. My only concern is that they accept 4-5 physics applicants, which I know is quite high but not as high as other colleges. Would I stand more chance of getting into Oxford by picking a college with a higher number of physics places with the logic of having a higher chance getting in, or choosing one like Balliol with the logic that less people might apply? I have heard that if you don't get accepted by your chosen college but Oxford want you to study with them, they can offer you other colleges to reside at, not sure how true this is though?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Original post by Sam Eggelton
Hi,
I've been doing some research on which Oxford College I would like to apply to, with Balliol seeming to come out on top. My only concern is that they accept 4-5 physics applicants, which I know is quite high but not as high as other colleges. Would I stand more chance of getting into Oxford by picking a college with a higher number of physics places with the logic of having a higher chance getting in, or choosing one like Balliol with the logic that less people might apply? I have heard that if you don't get accepted by your chosen college but Oxford want you to study with them, they can offer you other colleges to reside at, not sure how true this is though?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Don’t worry about how many places they have. If you end up applying to an oversubscribed college, you could end up interviewed and/or ultimately accepted by an entirely different college. If you happen to have a strong enough application, good score on your PAT and acceptable interview performance, you will likely land yourself an offer.

I applied to Magdalen (for chemistry), was interviewed by both Magdalen and Somerville and given an open offer underwritten by Queen’s. It absolutely can happen.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Don’t worry about how many places they have. If you end up applying to an oversubscribed college, you could end up interviewed and/or ultimately accepted by an entirely different college. If you happen to have a strong enough application, good score on your PAT and acceptable interview performance, you will likely land yourself an offer.

I applied to Magdalen (for chemistry), was interviewed by both Magdalen and Somerville and given an open offer underwritten by Queen’s. It absolutely can happen.

Okay, that's good to hear. Thank you for your help!
Reply 3
As above, if they like your application they will find a College space somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending