The Student Room Group

Oxford vs Cambridge Mature Student

Heya, I am an international looking to apply to Oxbridge Law for 2025 entry. I would be considered as 'Mature' in my application, so I want to ask if there's any data/consensus on choosing Oxford vs Cambridge in my position? Plus the choice of colleges; would you advise me to apply to the mature colleges, or just give my shot at the normal colleges?
Original post by defindera
Heya, I am an international looking to apply to Oxbridge Law for 2025 entry. I would be considered as 'Mature' in my application, so I want to ask if there's any data/consensus on choosing Oxford vs Cambridge in my position? Plus the choice of colleges; would you advise me to apply to the mature colleges, or just give my shot at the normal colleges?

For now, ignore the stats.

The Oxford and Cambridge law courses apparently differ rather drastically and you should pick the university based on which course is structured in a way that would most suit you. You should be able to find all the information you need on the respective university websites.

As for picking a college, you should be able to find college suggesters for each university that pick a college based on your preferences (e.g ensuite bathrooms, accommodation for the whole degree etc). I would say the mature colleges are only worth picking if what they have to offer matches your needs.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
For now, ignore the stats.

The Oxford and Cambridge law courses apparently differ rather drastically and you should pick the university based on which course is structured in a way that would most suit you. You should be able to find all the information you need on the respective university websites.

As for picking a college, you should be able to find college suggesters for each university that pick a college based on your preferences (e.g ensuite bathrooms, accommodation for the whole degree etc). I would say the mature colleges are only worth picking if what they have to offer matches your needs.

That’s a solid answer, thank you! I’ll decide on Oxford vs Cambridge after researching a little more.

But on the question of colleges, I am rather torn. It’s just that most of my peers that made it to Oxbridge have done so via the mature college route (coming from a somewhat high performing international school where we are ~2 years older than the usual UK timeline when it comes to Uni starting time, due to military service, gap yeas, jumping in from other countries, etc). I would love to try for and hopefully attend those bigger, more ‘known’ colleges, but I can’t seem to find too many international kids in those, let alone ‘mature’ internationals.
Original post by defindera
That’s a solid answer, thank you! I’ll decide on Oxford vs Cambridge after researching a little more.

But on the question of colleges, I am rather torn. It’s just that most of my peers that made it to Oxbridge have done so via the mature college route (coming from a somewhat high performing international school where we are ~2 years older than the usual UK timeline when it comes to Uni starting time, due to military service, gap yeas, jumping in from other countries, etc). I would love to try for and hopefully attend those bigger, more ‘known’ colleges, but I can’t seem to find too many international kids in those, let alone ‘mature’ internationals.

Singaporean?

Just try for whichever college you like - if you fancy a bigger, more "known" college like Christ Church or Magdalen, apply there. The vast majority of my Singaporean male friends attended non-mature colleges, although I will say that a not insignificant number were at Harris Manchester. If you want the hard numbers, try reaching out to the relevant student organization for your country (OUMSSA and CUMSA if you're Singaporean).

As to Oxford or Cambridge for Law, take a look at how the courses are structured and pick whichever you prefer. Personally, although I did the Oxford BA and BCL, if I had to choose again, I would probably pick Cambridge because (1) more options and (2) Final Honour School was incredibly tough physically and mentally (I did 9 papers total - 6 back-to-back papers Monday to Saturday, Sunday off, 1 paper on Monday, 1 paper on Thursday and then 1 paper on Friday. I think the schedule is more spread out now though). Having to memorise 2+ years of content also sucked. I'd much rather do exams every year, as is the case under the Tripos system.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mishieru07
Singaporean?

Just try for whichever college you like - if you fancy a bigger, more "known" college like Christ Church or Magdalen, apply there. The vast majority of my Singaporean male friends attended non-mature colleges, although I will say that a not insignificant number were at Harris Manchester. If you want the hard numbers, try reaching out to the relevant student organization for your country (OUMSSA and CUMSA if you're Singaporean).

As to Oxford or Cambridge for Law, take a look at how the courses are structured and pick whichever you prefer. Personally, although I did the Oxford BA and BCL, if I had to choose again, I would probably pick Cambridge because (1) more options and (2) Final Honour School was incredibly tough physically and mentally (I did 9 papers total - 6 back-to-back papers Monday to Saturday, Sunday off, 1 paper on Monday, 1 paper on Thursday and then 1 paper on Friday. I think the schedule is more spread out now though). Having to memorise 2+ years of content also sucked. I'd much rather do exams every year, as is the case under the Tripos system.

Omg?! 6 papers back to back and exams on Saturday too?! ☹️

With only Sunday off. WOW 😧

Are you a barrister or solicitor now?
Original post by thegeek888
Omg?! 6 papers back to back and exams on Saturday too?! ☹️

With only Sunday off. WOW 😧

Are you a barrister or solicitor now?

Yeah it is brutal. I’ve been told the schedule is now more spread out so more recent cohorts no longer do 6 papers back to back.

Incidentally, one of my tutors said that in his time, it was two papers a day (morning and afternoon) and they finished FHS in 5 days.

Solicitor.
you may end up being pooled to a mature student college anyway, so apply to a college that you like and see what happens
I think it's fair to say that Cambridge are more explicitly concentrated on catering to mature students than Oxford are. Cambridge has 3 colleges exclusively for mature students, Hughes Hall (approx 200 undergraduates), St Edmund's (also approx 200 undergraduates), and Wolfson (187 undergraduates). Oxford has just Harris Manchester, with just 92 undergraduates, less than half of any of Cambridge's. Oxford's way might actually be preferable if mature students were more frequently scattered through all the other colleges as equal-feeling members than they are at Cambridge. However I have no evidence this is the case as Cambridge say that 3% of their students are mature (21+) but I can't find any stat for Oxford. So my feeling is that Cambridge might be easier to get in to for a mature student than getting in to Oxford. Cambridge is known for being a little more left-wing so it possibly makes sense (to Oxford anyway) that Oxford would be harsher on someone who might have taken ages to get themselves in sufficient gear when they could be offering a place to more 18 year olds who usually only have one attempt at getting in university.
(edited 2 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending