The Student Room Group

A level combustion

Complete combustion of 2-methyloctane, C9H20, gives two products. Write a balanced equation, with state symbols, to represent the complete combustion of 2- methyloctane.
What is the state symbol and answer?
Original post by Orangecow
Complete combustion of 2-methyloctane, C9H20, gives two products. Write a balanced equation, with state symbols, to represent the complete combustion of 2- methyloctane.

State symbol is usually liquid (I believe)

C9H20(l) + 14O2(g) —-> 9CO2(g) + 10H2O(l)

When you burn a hydrocarbon completely, you always form carbon dioxide and water vapour.

Do you know the formulae and physical states of carbon dioxide and water vapour?
Original post by JA03
State symbol is usually liquid (I believe)

C9H20(l) + 14O2(g) —-> 9CO2(g) + 10H2O(l)

I see. I was trying to avoid giving an answer, but fair enough.

I suppose water is a difficult one as it is a liquid in the standard enthalpy change of combustion and at room temperature.

I know it is too late, but notice for the next time that a combustion means to react with the oxygen in the air and that goes for both the C-atoms and the H-atoms in a general alkane. Because alkanes are nothing more than hydrocarbons, so bonds between H- and C-atoms.

And if you don't know what balancing equations means: the number of atoms - also the ones in a molecule - have to be the same on both sides of the chemical equations - for each atom!

State of symbol means just to write the letter in brackets for the proper aggregate phase (l is liquid, g is gaseous and s is solid).
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest