The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official Imperial College 2024 Undergraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
That's just because Imperial tend to misrepresent their true applications to offers ratio. The big spreadsheet shows it's more like a 20% offer rate for UK based students for Computing. Hopefully that makes you feel better.

That makes me feel a lot better and I thank you for that. But I have one question:

If that's the case, how come there are far more international students at Imperial particularly for my course (I believe the numbers are in the region of 60:40 for international:home) ?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by Sakai04
I think I've seen one person

Do you have any idea when they got it?
Original post by bhaVify
Whilst I cant give you any decisive information on your situation I can however tell you about my experience so far. Like you, I gave the a-level maths exam and only got an A (242 marks which was 2 off A*) last year. I ended up however applying with 3A* predicted as I am also retaking the maths this year and I got an invite to interview a couple days ago, so in this regard they seemed to deem the other aspects of my application strong enough that the A could be overlooked (based upon my speculation). So is it possible to get an offer? yes. Will you get an offer? Im not sure. Will the A effect your chances? not sure but I believe so yes. But dont lose hope, Make sure to make up for this you have a great personal statement and perform well above average on the entrance exam and if possible maybe get your teacher to comment something about the retake on your ucas reference and perhaps of any disadvantageous situations that may have happened during you taking the exams. I've applied for joint maths and computing which I believe to be just as if not more competitive than aerospace engineering and am doing Maths, Further maths and physics. Other than that, Good luck!

Hi, was just wondering since you've got an interview for JMC and I've also applied but no further info yet. When did you apply and when did you take the pre-interview test? What do you think you scored on it? When did you get the interview invite and when is your interview day?
Reply 43
Original post by d-p

Do you have any idea when they got it?

24th of October
Hi, was just wondering since you've got an interview for JMC and I've also applied but no further info yet. When did you apply and when did you take the pre-interview test? What do you think you scored on it? When did you get the interview invite and when is your interview day?

I applied for just Computing and I haven't heard anything either. It may be that this person has heard something because they have already achieved their grades.
That makes me feel a lot better and I thank you for that. But I have one question:

If that's the case, how come there are far more international students at Imperial particularly for my course (I believe the numbers are in the region of 60:40 for international:home) ?

Maybe just because Imperial's better at international marketing and all that, greater international exposure, top 10 uni according to THE, higher international admissions might make a feedback cycle too?
Reply 46
Original post by adhya_9
did anyone apply for the aero engineering course before the oxbridge deadline and received their aero mat dates recently(like in the last 2-3 days)?

i applied on the 7th of october and was invited to the eee/aero MAT (I applied for EIE) on the 20th of October, My test is today.
Original post by benji_w
i applied on the 7th of october and was invited to the eee/aero MAT (I applied for EIE) on the 20th of October, My test is today.

Good luck!
Reply 48
Good luck!

Thanks man - the test is ridiculously hard but we'll see how it goes!
Reply 49
Original post by benji_w

my son received his mechanical engineering exam invitation last week. The exam itself week was supposed to be on Nov 10 (hence 2 weeks to prepare all in all). he submitted 2 days before the oxbridge UCAS deadline (which was on Oct 16 this year). hope that helps.
Reply 50
I'm going to apply for the Joint Maths and Computing course on the 13th November. Is that too late? Will I have a lower chance of getting in?
Original post by Aanu3001
I'm going to apply for the Joint Maths and Computing course on the 13th November. Is that too late? Will I have a lower chance of getting in?

It is not too late. A lot of people applying to Imperial will have Oxbridge as their top option so they will have had to submit their application early. If you look at the first message in the thread, you can see that Imperial has lots of experience dealing with applications and know not to just assign all of their places to early applicants just because they have sent their application in earlier than others. They will pace the number of places they give out from now up to January and will base their decisions off the merit of the applicant so you don't have to worry.
hi
Hi
Reply 54

If I recall correctly I think I sent off my UCAS September 29th and I had my pre-interview test on the 16th of October. I believe I scored anywhere from (7-10)/10 probably 8. (Note that they don't actually give you your results). I believe your chances are very low if you score 6 or below (single digit percentage) based off some statistic I read online (no idea if this is true or accurate so take it as you may) and ideally you want 8,9,10 for a good chance of interview. My interview date is on the 8th (November)
Reply 55

Is it too late? No it definitely is not. Though I would recommend you too apply as soon as you can (perhaps this is personal bias after getting offers and what not)

Yep agreed with previous reply. Imperial also say that they guarantee all applicants equal consideration regardless of when you apply. Don't feel that it will be unfair or too late. That is why there is a pre-interview online test - provides Imperial with some data in the context of the applying cohort.

Though, there could be a correlation with how early people apply and the calibre of candidate. Generally Oxbridge applicants are quite good anyway.
Original post by bhaVify
If I recall correctly I think I sent off my UCAS September 29th and I had my pre-interview test on the 16th of October. I believe I scored anywhere from (7-10)/10 probably 8. (Note that they don't actually give you your results). I believe your chances are very low if you score 6 or below (single digit percentage) based off some statistic I read online (no idea if this is true or accurate so take it as you may) and ideally you want 8,9,10 for a good chance of interview. My interview date is on the 8th (November)

Nice, I got 8 November too - interview invite came yesterday.
Reply 58
Nice, I got 8 November too - interview invite came yesterday.

Congratulations! Perhaps we may see each other on the day.
Original post by bhaVify
Congratulations! Perhaps we may see each other on the day.

Yeah quite possible. Definitely looking forward to it. Have you received follow up details from them yet like a confirmation or anything? I filled in that survey form thing but heard nothing back yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending