The Student Room Group

Applying to foreign universities

Best universities for medicine? I'm likely to apply for Oxford/Cambridge, Imperial College and UCL. But outside of the UK, where are the best universities for medicine? I'm considering applying to Harvard and/or Stanford in the States but willing to hear about other places.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by sk_5557
Best universities for medicine? I'm likely to apply for Oxford/Cambridge, Imperial College and UCL. But outside of the UK, where are the best universities for medicine? I'm considering applying to Harvard and/or Stanford in the States but willing to hear about other places.

I'm from the US, but just want to make sure you're applying as an undergrad right? Because medical school in the US is significantly different, you must have a Bachelor's first, then apply to medical school. Remember that Harvard and Stanford will be likely even more competitive than Oxbridge for med school, and siginificantly more expensive, and aid for international students may be harder to find.
Reply 3
Original post by longfurby
I'm from the US, but just want to make sure you're applying as an undergrad right? Because medical school in the US is significantly different, you must have a Bachelor's first, then apply to medical school. Remember that Harvard and Stanford will be likely even more competitive than Oxbridge for med school, and siginificantly more expensive, and aid for international students may be harder to find.

Yes, as an undergrad. Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by sk_5557
Yes, as an undergrad. Thanks.

Yeah the system is completely different, and assuming you want to practice in the UK, I don’t really see a benefit to studying in the US, but I might be unaware of something because I’m not intending to study medicine. US med school is very competitive, and residency and so forth last longer, also in the ik u have UCAT and BMAT, in the us I believe you have to take the MCAT, but I’m not actually sure if that’s required.
Original post by sk_5557

Hi, I've moved your thread to the international study forum, the medicine forum is for queries about applying to medicine in the UK.

In the US medicine is a postgraduate degree only. You need to do an undergraduate degree first. You cannot apply to an MD as a school leaver. There are some integrated programmes e.g. Brown's "Programme in Liberal Medical Education" where you enroll as an undergraduate and provided you meet basically all the same requirements you'd need to meet to get into the MD programme there anyway, proceed directly to the MD after 3 years rather than after the full 4 year undergraduate degree (US bachelors degrees are 4 years long) and then they retroactively apply your first year MD credits to completing the bachelors degree - so the full time is 7 years, rather than 8 years (assuming no gaps in education etc). However since you basically have to meet all the requirements and have a more competitive route to getting into the undergrad degree there, it's a bit pointless.

Also, both undergraduate study and medical degrees in the US are extraodinarily expensive for international students. Unless you go to an undergraduate college which is committed to meeting all demonstrated financial need (and probably ideally a need blind school so that they can't just see you're going to cost them a ton of money and say "nah"), it's going to cost you probably about $300,000-400,000 for the undergraduate degree and that again for the medical degree. Also as a non-US citizen your chances of getting into any competitive residency programme (i.e. anything that isn't psych/family med/internal med maybe in more rural areas) is basically zero due to how the working visa sponsorship laws work in the US which means they are required to prioritise American applicants to jobs (including residency).

I'd note also ultimately medicine is somewhat jurisdictional as while the physiology is universal, the specific processes and ways in which healthcare is implemented is not. So you should generally aim to study medicine wherever you are aiming to practice medicine.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending