The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

is Oxford Brookes good

hey guys, I am about to start at Oxford Brookes uni, got in through clearing and dont get me wrong, I am so thankful for getting a place and could not have wanted anything more, but was just wondering, what is the actual reputation of this uni? and after getting a degree will jobs look at me differently for getting a degree from here? thanks
What degree are you going to be studying?
What sort of jobs are you hoping to get?
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
biomedical science and I hope to go into research and development and maybe study a masters from kings but idk
Original post by PQ
What degree are you going to be studying?
What sort of jobs are you hoping to get?
Original post by Anonymous
biomedical science and I hope to go into research and development and maybe study a masters from kings but idk

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to come study at Oxford Brookes University! It's not my place to answer all of your questions, however I can provide you with some information you may or may not have already seen. I would certainly advise you to look at the course page, especially the sections labelled 'Why Oxford Brookes?', 'Course Details', and 'Careers'.

I would also add that employers and graduate programmes will also pay a significant amount of attention your degree classification in addition to where the degree comes from. Of course, different universities have vastly different requirements when it comes to degree programmes. But the point is that regardless of where you choose to study, the difference between getting a first and a lower second will affect your options significantly.

Here is the course page for Brookes' MSc in Medical Genetics and Genomics, to give you an idea of how you might progress if you choose to carry on with us. I hope this is helpful and best of luck with your degree!

Best regards,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Reply 4
Hiya,

I'm currently starting my 2nd year studying Biomedical Science at Oxford brookes, feel free to ask me any questions because I was 100% in the same position as you last year.

One thing I will say is that it is a nice uni, its modern and well funded and I haven't had any issues studying here so far. Oxford is also just a really beautiful city and just a nice (relatively safe) place to be. The BSc Biomedical Science degree itself is also decent, It's quite a challenging degree but as long as you enjoy learning about science you'll be okay. Oh, Oxford is a very expensive place to live.

In terms of reputation, its decent. It's not Oxford or Cambridge but you can 100% get where you want to go with a degree from here. Uni League tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings) ranks OBU 46th /130 universities and 64/81 for Biomedical Science degrees, take what you will from that.

I want to add that I'm hoping to practice as a biomedical scientist after graduating and unfortunately the uni doesn't offer a placement years to complete an IBMS portfolio, you're pretty much on your own if you want to arrange one which can be quite stressful.

Other than that, Oxford Brookes is a good uni.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions and best of luck starting uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending