The Student Room Group

Final year Uni choice

Hey. I’m an international student looking forward to complete my studies (final year) in the UK. I’m currently on the path of Business and IT, and I’ve applied to and received offers from unis' including University of the West of England (for Information Technology), Oxford Brookes University (for Information Technology for Business), amongst others. I am unable to attend the open days of the unis.

I've been searching for reviews on these courses - the quality, experience, graduate prospects but unfortunately, I haven't found any review or anyone who studied or currently studies those courses in these universities.
I am not able to apply to any Russell Group Uni as they are above my budget. I have a conditional (deposit payment) offer for Sep 2023 at Brookes. I like the course modules but how can I be sure they would take each course as the stated and not change it? It worries me. I also have an unconditional offer UWE Bristol to study Information Technology (also final year and I like the course modules also). Which is better from a fair point of view?

Can I possibly get fair advice/recommendations on the best of all to choose considering the academic quality, graduate employability prospects, student opportunities & experience within both universities environment (also the city in general).

Would a computing degree from Nottingham Trent University (yet to receive a decision though) be better?

I'm worried and need to choose on time to enable me start the necessary process. I'd appreciate it.
Reply 1
Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent are both very good universities with good reputation and great facilities and would rate them both above West of England.

For review of the courses, I would look at www.theuniguide.co.uk. Put in the 'course and the town' where the university is e.g Oxford.
Original post by Frost_winter
Hey. I’m an international student looking forward to complete my studies (final year) in the UK. I’m currently on the path of Business and IT, and I’ve applied to and received offers from unis' including University of the West of England (for Information Technology), Oxford Brookes University (for Information Technology for Business), amongst others. I am unable to attend the open days of the unis.

I've been searching for reviews on these courses - the quality, experience, graduate prospects but unfortunately, I haven't found any review or anyone who studied or currently studies those courses in these universities.
I am not able to apply to any Russell Group Uni as they are above my budget. I have a conditional (deposit payment) offer for Sep 2023 at Brookes. I like the course modules but how can I be sure they would take each course as the stated and not change it? It worries me. I also have an unconditional offer UWE Bristol to study Information Technology (also final year and I like the course modules also). Which is better from a fair point of view?

Can I possibly get fair advice/recommendations on the best of all to choose considering the academic quality, graduate employability prospects, student opportunities & experience within both universities environment (also the city in general).

Would a computing degree from Nottingham Trent University (yet to receive a decision though) be better?

I'm worried and need to choose on time to enable me start the necessary process. I'd appreciate it.

Hi @Frost_winter,

First of all, congratulations on your offers! That is great news.

Perhaps I can provide some information which may be of help to you. If you are able to make it to Oxford, I would highly recommend taking a campus tour. This will allow you to get a good feel for the university, speak to current Student Ambassadors, and also speak with academic staff. If this is not possible, there are also a range of virtual tours which might be helpful.

Though I cannot guarantee that the modules listed on the course page will remain the same, I doubt there would be substantial changes from year to year. If you would like more information on modules and the likelihood that they will change, I would suggest you write an email to [email protected] so that we can pass on your query to the relevant faculty contact.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck with the rest of your application process.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending