The Student Room Group

Are my IGSCEs good enough for Oxford

5 A* 1 A 2C are those good ? For Oxford ?
Original post by alihelmy_56

I guess it depends on what course you are applying for and what subjects the C’s are in.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I guess it depends on what course you are applying for and what subjects the C’s are in.

Medicine and Cs are Math and physics
Medicine and Cs are Math and physics

That could be a problem.

I would imagine resitting both and seeing if you can get at least As in both would be your best shot, but I’m no expert on medicine admissions.

Edit: it seems it is possible to get as far as the interview stage with as few as 4 A*’s at GCSE, but the chances are slim and the chances of getting a place are even slimmer. https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-version-of-na-9-8-and-pa-at-gcse-2020
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am absolutely gutted with my gcse/Igcse results. I’m not saying these results are bad, as always, results are subjective and these were bad for me. As someone who was working at all 9’s. These results are not competitive
9-biology
9-physics
8-geography
8-latin
8-greek
8-maths
8- french
9-chemistry
6- English language - ( getting remarked as only have ever gotten an 8)
7- English literature ( getting remarked as only have ever gotten a 9
7- computer science

i figured just to get the english remarked since with the other subjects, it’s less subjective.
In addition these results are really bad taking in account the fact I go to a really good leading private IB school. Absolutely gutted. Planned to study medecine at Cambridge :frown:

You should be fine with those GCSE results. I make that 8 A* grades (8’s and 9’s are seen as equivalent by all universities - even Cambridge and Oxford), which is about the right number to at least stand a chance of getting into medicine at somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge.

You should bear in mind that things like the BMAT and your A level results will matter more, so don’t give up hope yet.
Reply 5
You should be fine with those GCSE results. I make that 8 A* grades (8’s and 9’s are seen as equivalent by all universities - even Cambridge and Oxford), which is about the right number to at least stand a chance of getting into medicine at somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge.

You should bear in mind that things like the BMAT and your A level results will matter more, so don’t give up hope yet.

Apparently I can enter medicine without physics o level so I’m assuming that I can get an interview with just 7 o- levels am I right ? also I’m yet to do my UCAT and my BMAT far away in October so can some one tell me if 7 o-levels without the physics are enough to get an interview ? considering the fact that I already put the a levels which I will sit in January and June and I am yet to sit my UCAT so can someone tell me if this number of o-levels are enough to get an interview.

Do you think resitting English language would help. I got a 6
That could be a problem.

I would imagine resitting both and seeing if you can get at least As in both would be your best shot, but I’m no expert on medicine admissions.

Edit: it seems it is possible to get as far as the interview stage with as few as 4 A*’s at GCSE, but the chances are slim and the chances of getting a place are even slimmer. https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-version-of-na-9-8-and-pa-at-gcse-2020

Should I resit English language? I got a 6

I got
3 9’s
5 8’s
2 7’s
1 6
Want to apply to Oxford medicine
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think resitting English language would help. I got a 6

Depends. I suppose you need to consider the rest of your grades and see how they compared to the average at your school.

If you have mostly 8/9 grades, I don’t see any real problems unless you are planning to study English language at Oxford or Cambridge. As such, if you are applying to an unrelated subject to English language at Oxford or Cambridge, I would imagine you’d be better off focusing on your A levels rather than resitting.

I think also it may be a bit late to be entered for this year’s November resit series (though I could be completely wrong - ask the head of the English department at your school), so if you do resit, you may have to resit during May/June of this year when you are most probably preparing for the end of year mocks that may have some bearing on your UCAS predictions. Your A level predictions are perhaps even more important to worry about, at least in my opinion.
Reply 9

Last year the average number of A*s in people who got an interview for medicine at oxford was 9.9. Unfortunately no one with 5A*s were called for an interview so your chances are nil to be completely honest. Sorry.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #1
Should I resit English language? I got a 6

I got
3 9’s
5 8’s
2 7’s
1 6
Want to apply to Oxford medicine

You have a good number of A*s. But one thing Oxford looks at is the distribution of A*s. Since you have 8A*s out of 11 subjects your distribution would be 0.73. The average distribution of people who were called for an interview last year was 0.97 meaning your chances are very slim. I'd say resit English if you think you can get an A* in it, otherwise don't, and focus on your A levels and BMAT.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending