The Student Room Group

Gcse grades for oxford

Hi all. Im currently in the middle of my gcses and i rhink that i will finish with foour 9s, six 8s and one 7. I am, and have been incredibly keen to attend oxford or cambridge and i am wondering wether these grades will he good enough. Could anyone give me their opinion? Additinally, from your experiences what grades do most oxbridge students have? Thanks
What subject is this for? (Though tbh, sounds good for any subject - though most subjects will place more emphasis on other aspects of your application than GCSE grades)
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi all. Im currently in the middle of my gcses and i rhink that i will finish with foour 9s, six 8s and one 7. I am, and have been incredibly keen to attend oxford or cambridge and i am wondering wether these grades will he good enough. Could anyone give me their opinion? Additinally, from your experiences what grades do most oxbridge students have? Thanks

Those GCSEs are very good and achieving them would definitely make for a strong application. It's worth noting that Oxford use a contextualised GCSE score in admissions, calculated by comparing the number of 8/9s you got compared to the rest of your school. This means that the difference between 8/9 is essentially removed. I only got a 9 and two 8s, and I'm studying here, so you're definitely on track.
Reply 3
Hi, thanks for the reply. I am considering biomedical sciences, microbiology, medicine, or perhaps maths - not sure yet. Overall would you say these grades are good enough?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What subject is this for? (Though tbh, sounds good for any subject - though most subjects will place more emphasis on other aspects of your application than GCSE grades)
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi, thanks for the reply. I am considering biomedical sciences, microbiology, medicine, or perhaps maths - not sure yet. Overall would you say these grades are good enough?

These grades should be fine, though I'd strongly suggest you pick a subject first and THEN consider whether you want to apply for Oxford, rather than the other way around. Also, pretty sure Oxford doesn't offer microbiology at undergrad (and I can't find it on this webpage: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/admission-requirements-table ) :fyi:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending