The Student Room Group

medicine

I hopeful intended to study medicine, but unfortunately got AAABB in my highers exam and was told by my teachers not to apply for medicine even if i take a gap year and although i meet some of the criteria for widening access i don't think it could apply to me since I've lived in Scotland for only a year and a half... so any suggestions?
Reply 1
If you meet the entry requirements, apply.

If you dont, you will always wonder what might have happened if only you had.
Reply 2
Original post by avani_1
I hopeful intended to study medicine, but unfortunately got AAABB in my highers exam and was told by my teachers not to apply for medicine even if i take a gap year and although i meet some of the criteria for widening access i don't think it could apply to me since I've lived in Scotland for only a year and a half... so any suggestions?

If you meet WP criteria, then I am pretty sure you meet the requirements of Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews, so check the websites.
Also, you will not get funding for Scottish unis if only been in Scotlans a year and a half, I think, so English med school make offers based on AHs, in a lot of cases.
Check all the websites carefully to see if you meet WP requirements and what grades are required in this situation
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
If you meet WP criteria, then I am pretty sure you meet the requirements of Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews, so check the websites.
Also, you will not get funding for Scottish unis if only been in Scotlans a year and a half, I think, so English med school make offers based on AHs, in a lot of cases.
Check all the websites carefully to see if you meet WP requirements and what grades are required in this situation

I do meet tbethe requirements, however i was told it only applies to Scottish students?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If you meet the entry requirements, apply.

If you dont, you will always wonder what might have happened if only you had.

Thanks, i will... this is probably tbe most reassuring thing I've heard so far. Thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD

Then you don't meet the requirements? RUK applicants have WP flags at Scottish unis, so what would your fee status be? International is more difficult, but worth an email to ask, I'd have thought?
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
Then you don't meet the requirements? RUK applicants have WP flags at Scottish unis, so what would your fee status be? International is more difficult, but worth an email to ask, I'd have thought?

I do plan on taking a gap year and hopefully doing better and before the end of my gap year, I'll be eligible for home student. For now my biggest worry is if my only option is doing another degree before medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending