The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What does the UOL consider to be an 'academic'/'facilitating' A-Level?

Answered
(edited 7 months ago)
Unclear in what context you are referring to.

I would assume any A-level that isn't applied or vocational will be suitable as a third subject for basically any course.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
It's literally anything that's not "Critical Thinking" or "Food Tech" or the like
Reply 3
Original post by TheMuslimMaestro
I'm just starting year 12 and am stressing out quite a bit in regard to my A-levels.

I am definitely doing chemistry and biology, but I'm clueless as what to do for my third option. I'm not sure what is considered 'academic' as the UOL states.

I hate maths, so I don't want to do physics or maths.

Often this just excludes A level general studies, critical thinking and any BTEC courses (even if it’s equivalent)
I could only find that they wanted non overlapping subjects. If anyone can link to more specific requirements I can take a look.
Original post by charves14
Often this just excludes A level general studies, critical thinking and any BTEC courses (even if it’s equivalent)

do you think chem bio and engineering is ok for medicine?
Reply 6
do you think chem bio and engineering is ok for medicine?

Is Engineering an A level?
Reply 7
I'm just starting year 12 and am stressing out quite a bit in regard to my A-levels.

I want to study medicine and I am definitely doing chemistry and biology, but I'm clueless as what to do for my third option. I'm not sure what is considered 'academic' as the UOL states.

I hate maths, so I don't want to do physics or maths.

Would engineering be any good?

Taking Engineering at A-level is a bit unusual and unconventional when applying for medicine. It is still fine to take it, but there are other more beneficial A-levels that might be more interesting.

Choices you could pick that aren't mathematically related:

1. Psychology. This provides an insight into human behavior and the mind.
2. Sociology. Understanding how societal factors affect health.
3. Geography. This can delve into topics that understand how pollution, climate change, can affect human health. Though the specific syllabus depends on the exam board.

Personally, I would pick either psychology or sociology as a third A-level choice for Medicine, but it's up to you.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Baleroc
Taking Engineering at A-level is a bit unusual and unconventional when applying for medicine. It is still fine to take it, but there are other more beneficial A-levels that might be more interesting.

Choices you could pick that aren't mathematically related:

1. Psychology. This provides an insight into human behavior and the mind.
2. Sociology. Understanding how societal factors affect health.
3. Geography. This can delve into topics that understand how pollution, climate change, can affect human health. Though the specific syllabus depends on the exam board.

Personally, I would pick either psychology or sociology as a third A-level choice for Medicine, but it's up to you.

Ok, I am going to pick chemistry biology and psychology. Thanks for your help.
Glad to see that you got your question answered :smile: If you have any other questions then feel free to ask away.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending