The Student Room Group

Applying for competitive UNIS (ALEVELS/SIXTH FORM SCHOOL CHOICE)

Sorry! This is going to be long but I need advice asap!

Does anyone know whether having these three a levels will put me at a disadvantage? (Psych, Business and Law) I would have picked English Lit/French however was not too sure about the difficultly or if they would be worth it as people have told me, regarding French, that unis don't care for it.

It would be worth it to note that I'm not sure about degree choices, however was interested in the law field, business/marketing field too. I also had the opportunity to go to a grammar school however turned it down, but now remaining in my sixth form I'm not too sure whether I should apply to a grammar school again and swap out Law a level for Politics, as they offer the same alevels there too.
Will the grammar school genuinely be better for me (a month into term) in the long run, for example grade-wise and extracurricular wise, or even consideration for unis? Can anyone lay out all the pros and cons as I overthink ALOT!
Original post by freefree.
Sorry! This is going to be long but I need advice asap!

Does anyone know whether having these three a levels will put me at a disadvantage? (Psych, Business and Law) I would have picked English Lit/French however was not too sure about the difficultly or if they would be worth it as people have told me, regarding French, that unis don't care for it.

It would be worth it to note that I'm not sure about degree choices, however was interested in the law field, business/marketing field too. I also had the opportunity to go to a grammar school however turned it down, but now remaining in my sixth form I'm not too sure whether I should apply to a grammar school again and swap out Law a level for Politics, as they offer the same alevels there too.
Will the grammar school genuinely be better for me (a month into term) in the long run, for example grade-wise and extracurricular wise, or even consideration for unis? Can anyone lay out all the pros and cons as I overthink ALOT!

A grammar school would give more support towards students who aim for competitive universities as they have more students aspiring towards them in general, so I would recommend thinking about that again and being sure about your choice.

Also, your A-level choices would be considered strange for a competitive university as there are no facilitating subjects included there. Look into facilitating subjects, and know that as a general rule of thumb, top universities look for at least 2 facilitating subjects to be taken by an applicant. In your case, I would take English Lit, French and Law. Though, Law could be replaced with anything really as it's not facilitating. However, French and English Lit (not Lang!) are facilitating subjects which if top grades are made, as worth more to top unis than Psychology or Business.
Reply 2
Original post by elemenohpee
A grammar school would give more support towards students who aim for competitive universities as they have more students aspiring towards them in general, so I would recommend thinking about that again and being sure about your choice.

Also, your A-level choices would be considered strange for a competitive university as there are no facilitating subjects included there. Look into facilitating subjects, and know that as a general rule of thumb, top universities look for at least 2 facilitating subjects to be taken by an applicant. In your case, I would take English Lit, French and Law. Though, Law could be replaced with anything really as it's not facilitating. However, French and English Lit (not Lang!) are facilitating subjects which if top grades are made, as worth more to top unis than Psychology or Business.

thanks for your response! I'm not sure if it's too late to swap but would I seriously be overlooked for universities such as UCL/KCL due to my alevel choices even if i were to get A/A*s in my og choices? Obviously they (eng lit/french) are more difficult subjects but will extracurriculars help me more?

also regarding grammar schools, they definitely know more/cater towards higher aiming students, but I don't know whether I should go due to timing of terms, and frankly being without friends kind of late into it. I'm super indecisive and worried that I want to go to a grammar due to the regretful feeling of turning down an 'opportunity' - where maybe things are given faster?
thanks for your response! I'm not sure if it's too late to swap but would I seriously be overlooked for universities such as UCL/KCL due to my alevel choices even if i were to get A/A*s in my og choices? Obviously they (eng lit/french) are more difficult subjects but will extracurriculars help me more?

also regarding grammar schools, they definitely know more/cater towards higher aiming students, but I don't know whether I should go due to timing of terms, and frankly being without friends kind of late into it. I'm super indecisive and worried that I want to go to a grammar due to the regretful feeling of turning down an 'opportunity' - where maybe things are given faster?

There is a lack of logic in trying to do the easiest A levels with the ambition of going to the most competitive Universities. That's not how it works. If you are avoiding doing the A levels you think are harder, why do you think you can step it up at undergrad level? You've got 3 classic 'easier' A levels, there's no avoiding that, so unless you are getting A*s, your profile would look better with at least one of them being English, French, History, Economics etc.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
There is a lack of logic in trying to do the easiest A levels with the ambition of going to the most competitive Universities. That's not how it works. If you are avoiding doing the A levels you think are harder, why do you think you can step it up at undergrad level? You've got 3 classic 'easier' A levels, there's no avoiding that, so unless you are getting A*s, your profile would look better with at least one of them being English, French, History, Economics etc.

True ngl.
My aim and target grades are currently all A/A*s for these subjects, and I've spoken to teachers who acknowledge that they are not facilitating, however say I can do extracurriculars and get the best grades.
So regarding getting the highest grade to meet requirements for good unis, that's what I went for. :')
I know I can put effort in and get the top grades, however I also have a lack of interest in the facilitating subjects in general. I've just attained good grades in them at GCSE level.
Should I still try to swap out one of mine for French?
True ngl.
My aim and target grades are currently all A/A*s for these subjects, and I've spoken to teachers who acknowledge that they are not facilitating, however say I can do extracurriculars and get the best grades.
So regarding getting the highest grade to meet requirements for good unis, that's what I went for. :')
I know I can put effort in and get the top grades, however I also have a lack of interest in the facilitating subjects in general. I've just attained good grades in them at GCSE level.
Should I still try to swap out one of mine for French?

Only you can answer this really.

Which do you think will leave you with bigger regrets/in a worse position

1 - getting 3 A*s but still not being competitive for eg UCL Psychology?
2 - hating French and getting A*A*B and having to work with that?

There are other combinations, but they all boil down to what the risk is to you in terms of the outcome, and how much you back yourself.
Reply 6
Can you explain why you want to do apply to a 'competitive' Uni?

Bragging rights, or something else?

Quick Reply

Latest