The Student Room Group

What subjects are considered academically demanding by cambridge?

I’ve been looking at some of the entry requirements across the colleges at Cambridge, and many say it is preferred if you have a strong mix of sciences/humanities/arts for your a levels:

‘range of academically demanding subjects in both sciences and humanities or social sciences.’

I know sciences include bio, chem, phys, maths, but what subjects come under ‘academically demanding’ with humanities and social sciences specifically?
Reply 1
all subjects except for general studies/media studies and BTEC subjects. as long as u do the required subjects for your course, and get an A /A* across all ur a-levels, they won't care what subjects specifically, so you can even do history alongside maths if ur applying for maths for example.
Reply 2
Maths / Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Sociology, Psychology, History, Philosophy / Theology, English Literature, Languages, Music, Art, Economics etc. "Facilitating Subjects" they are usually called. I would avoid BTEC subjects or level 3 diploma etc, and subjects such as media studies, film studies or business studies etc are usually not facilitating or as academically intense, perhaps avoid "studies subjects" as a general rule for A level. Some subjects such as Drama and Theatre Studies may be relevant to English or HSPS so it's more of a general rule. I would just say pick 3 or 4 A level subjects and achieve your A* or A in them.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been looking at some of the entry requirements across the colleges at Cambridge, and many say it is preferred if you have a strong mix of sciences/humanities/arts for your a levels:

‘range of academically demanding subjects in both sciences and humanities or social sciences.’

I know sciences include bio, chem, phys, maths, but what subjects come under ‘academically demanding’ with humanities and social sciences specifically?

Officially, you want to be looking here for guidance on subject choice: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/post-16-subject-choices

There used to be list of "facilitating subjects" published by the Russell Group of unis, but it seems to have been withdrawn for some unfathomable reason :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

What about French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Japanese and Arabic? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending