The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A levels for LSE accounting and finance

I’m in my final year of my IGCSE and my dream university is LSE and the course I’m interested in is accounting & finance.

The A-levels I think I’m choosing is ( mathematics, economics and business studies ) are these good a levels? if not what would be better options? I’m not willing to do further maths.

Are there any tips that you can give me that would increase my chances to enter LSE? I’m currently thinking of taking Coursera courses related to finance to put it into my personal statement. And possibly be an intern at a company to gain some experience.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ja3far
I’m in my final year of my IGCSE and my dream university is LSE and the course I’m interested in is accounting & finance.

The A-levels I think I’m choosing is ( mathematics, economics and business studies ) are these good a levels? if not what would be better options? I’m not willing to do further maths.

Are there any tips that you can give me that would increase my chances to enter LSE? I’m currently thinking of taking Coursera courses related to finance to put it into my personal statement. And possibly be an intern at a company to gain some experience.

Do not take Economics and Business Studies. Take just Economics, Maths and one from Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I’m not the best at sciences, is taking statistics a good a level instead of business studies?
Original post by thegeek888
Do not take Economics and Business Studies. Take just Economics, Maths and one from Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
Reply 3
Original post by Ja3far
I’m not the best at sciences, is taking statistics a good a level instead of business studies?

You would do Pearson Edexcel Statistics? :smile: It is good for many other LSE courses too.
Reply 4
Original post by Ja3far

Look at what LSE's preferred subjects- do not do business there is no point as most of it you can just learn as you move along the finacial sector. It is also just not very respected although more so then it used to be. I recomend doing a science or humaity instead. Physics, History, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Politics and even philosphy are all much more respected than business
Reply 5
Would accounting be good? Instead of business studies
Reply 6
Original post by Ja3far

Maths, Economics and Accounting is not a 'broad' range of subjects.

You should offer Maths, Economics and French or History or Politics or Chemistry or Biology or Psychology.
Reply 8
My school does not facilitate these subjects
Reply 9
(Original post by Ja3far)My school does not facilitate these subjects
They dont do History french or psyhology???
Reply 10
Original post by Ja3far

Again accounting is NOT a traditional or respected subject. As I said before look at what LSE's prefered subjects are.
Also bear in mind if you are not capable of doing harder a levels (sciences, humanities etc) over easier, less respected subjects (business, accounting etc), maybe LSE is not for you? There are plenty of other great unis out there which will probably be more fun then the very work centered LSE.
Original post by ollie5647
Again accounting is NOT a traditional or respected subject. As I said before look at what LSE's prefered subjects are.
Also bear in mind if you are not capable of doing harder a levels (sciences, humanities etc) over easier, less respected subjects (business, accounting etc), maybe LSE is not for you? There are plenty of other great unis out there which will probably be more fun then the very work centered LSE.

Maths, Further Maths and Economics would be the easiest combination of subjects. Because LSE recognise them as 3 'distinct' subjects. Also, Further Maths is not that difficult, it is just more than single Maths.
Reply 12
As you have read I want to enter LSE and specifically tye Accounting & finance course, so in the course’s details it says that the department of this course has accounting as a preferred subject. So if I pick Maths, economics and accounting, I’m basically picking 3 preferred A levels.

what are your opinions?
Original post by Ja3far
As you have read I want to enter LSE and specifically tye Accounting & finance course, so in the course’s details it says that the department of this course has accounting as a preferred subject. So if I pick Maths, economics and accounting, I’m basically picking 3 preferred A levels.

what are your opinions?

You won't be a strong enough applicant with Accounting. But if you take a Chem, Bio, Phys, Psych, Socio, Pol, FMath, French, German, Spanish or Italian you would be a much stronger applicant.
Reply 14
What about statistical math as another subject?
Original post by Ja3far
What about statistical math as another subject?

LSE will deem Maths, Further Maths and Economics as 3 subjects. But you really should be offering another academic subject too.
Reply 16
No they don’t, that’s why I’m puzzled. Maths, further maths and economics. Are these respectable a levels to get me into LSE?
Original post by Ja3far
No they don’t, that’s why I’m puzzled. Maths, further maths and economics. Are these respectable a levels to get me into LSE?

Maths, Economics and French would allow you to study almost any degree at LSE. But add Physics or Chemistry and more likely the 'favourite' subject of LSE admissions Further Maths, then you would get in but need A*A*A.
Reply 18
So Mathematics, Economics and a foreign language. I can do further maths but I’m probably not getting an A so it’s too risky
Reply 19
Original post by Ja3far
So Mathematics, Economics and a foreign language. I can do further maths but I’m probably not getting an A so it’s too risky

Don't listen to them and pick maths, econ and accounting. For your specific course of a & f, they view it as a preferred subject, so you will be doing 3 preferred a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending