The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry

! Do bases always have to react with acids to make salt and water or can they make salt and hydrogen instead? For instance, I heard that some metal bases react with acids to form salt plus hydrogen. Would those metals simply not be considered bases or can bases form hydrogen as a product instead of water??
Original post by VoiidDev
! Do bases always have to react with acids to make salt and water or can they make salt and hydrogen instead? For instance, I heard that some metal bases react with acids to form salt plus hydrogen. Would those metals simply not be considered bases or can bases form hydrogen as a product instead of water??

At GCSE, the definition of a base you need to learn is a substance that reacts with an acid to form a salt and water. Since metals do not meet this definition, they are not bases.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
At GCSE, the definition of a base you need to learn is a substance that reacts with an acid to form a salt and water. Since metals do not meet this definition, they are not bases.

Thank you so much for your reply! It clarified a few things for me. Thanks!
Original post by VoiidDev
Thank you so much for your reply! It clarified a few things for me. Thanks!

Also I have noticed you have posted the same question multiple times - in future, please do not do this as it creates more work for the forum helpers.

Though please don’t hesitate to ask questions when you are stuck and need help. I do hope to see you post again on TSR and hopefully I should be around to give some relevant answers where possible.

Quick Reply

Latest