The Student Room Group

What do you need to study for English Literature and Language for GCSE

Which reading and example books are helpful for English Literature and Language for GCSE
Original post by Lbans
Which reading and example books are helpful for English Literature and Language for GCSE

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/English-Literature/GCSE/Notes/AQA/Macbeth/Exam-Preparation/How%20to%20plan%20and%20write%20a%20top%20mark%20essay%20.pdf

Use this for structuring your English lit essays. Outlines everything you need to include in order to hit all AOs. I’ve just done my GCSEs and it got me a 9. Couldn’t recommend it more
Reply 2
Original post by user01906002
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/English-Literature/GCSE/Notes/AQA/Macbeth/Exam-Preparation/How%20to%20plan%20and%20write%20a%20top%20mark%20essay%20.pdf

Use this for structuring your English lit essays. Outlines everything you need to include in order to hit all AOs. I’ve just done my GCSEs and it got me a 9. Couldn’t recommend it more

Thank y so much , Any advice for English Language?
Reply 3
Original post by Lbans
Thank y so much , Any advice for English Language?

Hi,

Re: English Language exam technique.

(1) START by reading the questions - if you’re starting with question 1, then read what question 1 is asking. DON’T read the whole extract from the outset: you will probably forget what happens after two lines. By reading the question first, you may then read with purpose (you now know what you’re looking for). Lots of teachers suggest reading the extract fully at the start. Take my advice - don’t. Use your limited time wisely. Read with purpose.

(2) THEN, you may move onto question 2 if you’re doing the paper in order. Again, read what the question is asking you. For paper 1, this question is language. Annotate the box you are given with. Make these annotations light - i.e. write the technique next to what you underlined and leave it at that. Don’t annotate every little detail YET (remember, you are working within a limited time frame). You should now have three quotes underlined with their respective technique next to them.

Start your response. Explore that initial technique: use the general tips you already know - point, technique, implication etc. Now zoom into specific words from that initial quote - define them, what is the word class, whats their implication, what does it reveal about a character, what effect does that specific word have, does it link to other parts of that box-extract you were given, does it offer a juxtaposition between how the character was described at the start and how its now being described etc…

Write x3 paragraphs

(3) THEN you might move onto the structure question. Pretty straightforward, but students tend to find it hard to pick up marks. Planning stage: what does the write focus on at the start? How does this develop in the middle? And what happens at the end? There’s your first point (if applicable): the way the writer shifts focus. Is there juxtaposition between the start and the end? Again, what does this reveal?

You might pick up on character revelations. Who has been introduced? Who has been kept a mystery? Are characters talking about someone that the reader has yet to be introduced to, or have they been left nameless? What perspective is it written in? Does third-person have the effect of distancing the reader from the characters? And does first person have the effect of drawing readers into the substance of the story? What atmosphere does this create? What mood is constructed as a result of *potentially* all this drama? There you have your second point.

Consider dramatic openings; foreshadowing; focus; chronological order; flashbacks etc

(4) See 2^. Pretty much the same, only difference is that we are now considering the writers methods and ideas. This requires some understanding of what’s going on in the extract.

(5) Creative writing. I always urge the description because I found it easier to show creativity. Make your response stand out. If you are given a picture of a hot air balloon, be the hot air balloon. A lot of students would write from the perspective of a person looking up at the balloon. Quite frankly, that’s very boring. If you’re given a picture of a bus (like I was), write from the pov of the bus; or write from the pov of the bus stop button. Always write from the pov of an inanimate object - personifies your whole answer.
Original post by Lbans

Hi, here are some tips I have for english lit and lang:

Eng lang: they are mainly paper 1, but are applicable for paper 2 if needed
- For Q2 about language: once you put your point and quotation across try to identify a language device and link it's effect to the question, then put a one-word focus (where you zoom in on one word and link it's effect to the question) and lastly you could comment on sentence structure/punctuation and any other language devices. Always remember to link back to the question and aim to write about 2 paragraphs!
- For Q3 about structure: try to identify structures like cyclical structures, an introduction to a new character, anything that foreshadows an event, changes or shifts in tone and setting, flashbacks/cliff-hangers and how this can interest the reader. You don't need to give any quotations that have language devices in particular, they can be any quotations as long as they back up your point.
- For Q4: I firstly recommend making sure you stay within the lines you are asked to write about as this prevents any silly mistakes (like writing about the wrong lines). After putting your point (whether you agree/disagree) and explaining a reason why this is, it's best to put forward a quotation to back the point up. You can then discuss language devices and it's effect on the reader/link to the statement. As a bonus you can discuss punctuation and structures.

Eng lit: these are the main things I recommend commenting on
- Context (what was happening during the time the text was written and how the author/poet considered this when writing the text)
- Themes (the main ideas throughout the text and how they are reflected within the quotations)
- Structure/form (the layout of the text and what the effect is/why the author/poet chose to write it like that)
- Quotations from the text (so giving evidence for your points, pick out ones you can write lots about and try to only memorise the necessary quotes)
- Language techniques (try and pick out language techniques that aren't basic, like personification and juxtaposition)
- One-word focus (so zoom into a specific word in a quote and analyse it)

I use PMT, mr bruff, mr salles teaches english and a huge life saver for me has been the yt channel called glow up your grades, it's made me feel less stressed for english, so I would defo recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest