The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

I'm thinking of doing Chem and Bio for my A levels, but I'm not sure what to choose for my third subject. I want it to be a relatively easier A level compared to Chem and Bio. I'm torn between Eng Lang, Psychology, or Sociology.

(Btw I am considering studying pharmacy at university.)
(edited 3 months ago)
pharmacy doesn't require any specific third subject, so your choices will be fine no matter what 🙂 i've heard that english lit gets quite hard a level particularly in year 13 - what grade did you get at gcse? and psychology is really heavy workload, if i were you i'd choose sociology but its up to you - maybe look at the course's specification and see which appeals to you?
Reply 2
Original post by HadronCollider
pharmacy doesn't require any specific third subject, so your choices will be fine no matter what 🙂 i've heard that english lit gets quite hard a level particularly in year 13 - what grade did you get at gcse? and psychology is really heavy workload, if i were you i'd choose sociology but its up to you - maybe look at the course's specification and see which appeals to you?

Thanks for the reply! I'm still in y11 but I got a 6 in my mocks for both English's (last minute revision btw). However, I don't mind writing essays, I'd say I'm pretty good at it when I put in the effort. Also, was talking about English Language not English Literature. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rolypoly08
Thanks for the reply! I'm still in y11 but I got a 6 in my mocks for both English's (last minute revision btw). However, I don't mind writing essays, I'd say I'm pretty good at it when I put in the effort. Also, was talking about English Language not English Literature. Thanks again :smile:

Just bare in mind that English Language at A Level is very different to English Language at GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by Alexty28
Just bare in mind that English Language at A Level is very different to English Language at GCSE.

Very good point. Do some research into what your course entails. I've heard it's actually a more sciencey English and at my school they cover how children develop language and how language has changed over time. It might be quite an interesting one but you definitely need to know what your getting yourself into
Reply 5

How so?
Reply 6
Original post by Caotica
Very good point. Do some research into what your course entails. I've heard it's actually a more sciencey English and at my school they cover how children develop language and how language has changed over time. It might be quite an interesting one but you definitely need to know what your getting yourself into

Sounds interesting. I will do some research on it but it already sounds like something I may potentially enjoy
Reply 7
How so?

In GCSE English Language, the focus primarily revolves around the analysis of texts. However, at A Level, English Language delves deeper into the theoretical aspects, encompassing the history of the English language, linguistic theory, language usage by individuals, language development in children, and exploration of gender and class roles ect. If you are more interested in analysing texts, I would recommend English Literature.
Reply 8
Do sociology which is easy and it doesn't require that much revision than psychology is based on purely facts and literature review is too much reading. However, if you like memorising a lot then do psychology but not sociology is really good a level. I did Sociology and without intense revision i managed to get a grade A. you got this.
Reply 9
In GCSE English Language, the focus primarily revolves around the analysis of texts. However, at A Level, English Language delves deeper into the theoretical aspects, encompassing the history of the English language, linguistic theory, language usage by individuals, language development in children, and exploration of gender and class roles ect. If you are more interested in analysing texts, I would recommend English Literature.

Ahh ok. I think that sounds like something I might be interested in as I don't really like analysing texts or English Literature.
Reply 10
Original post by ikrashafwi
Do sociology which is easy and it doesn't require that much revision than psychology is based on purely facts and literature review is too much reading. However, if you like memorising a lot then do psychology but not sociology is really good a level. I did Sociology and without intense revision i managed to get a grade A. you got this.

Sociology sounds good tbh, but I've heard mixed opinions about it. How did you revise for it, and did you do psychology as well?
Sociology sounds good tbh, but I've heard mixed opinions about it. How did you revise for it, and did you do psychology as well?

Tbh i just did a lot of past exam papers, i feel like thats how you learn and you kind of predict what might come up next year. and always ask your teacher for essay style questions, it good to get practice in so when the actual exam comes your familiar with it. i did bio and chemistry and sociology.
Reply 12
Tbh i just did a lot of past exam papers, i feel like thats how you learn and you kind of predict what might come up next year. and always ask your teacher for essay style questions, it good to get practice in so when the actual exam comes your familiar with it. i did bio and chemistry and sociology.

Im actually thinking of doing the same A levels that you did. How did you find them? And is Chemistry as hard as people say it is? Also what are you doing like career-wise?
(edited 3 months ago)
Im actually thinking of doing the same A levels that you did. How did you find them? And is Chemistry as hard as people say it is? Also what are you doing like career-wise?

Chemistry A level was really good, as long as you stay on top of it then you are good, just remember past papers are a good way to revise. And I just graduated in biomedical science and I'm doing my master's in toxicology which is based a lot on biochemistry.
Reply 14
Chemistry A level was really good, as long as you stay on top of it then you are good, just remember past papers are a good way to revise. And I just graduated in biomedical science and I'm doing my master's in toxicology which is based a lot on biochemistry.

Ok thank you, congrats btw :smile:
Ok thank you, congrats btw :smile:

Hey I do A-Level AQA English Language and it is my favourite A level as it is so interesting but hard, would defo recommend taking it, itss the bessst. I also do A - Level OCR Sociology and it is good but boring and Paper 3 is bad so it is decent, and psychology is very bad from what I've heard as the content isn't the best. I would say pick English Language,

Quick Reply

Latest