The Student Room Group

Getting a females opinion

I’m a 30 year old male and I want to get my ear pierced. After the healing time is up. Is it better to keep the stud in my ear, or change it to a sleeper earring?
Reply 1
Dependant on the fastening of the stud - a stud can be more secure (it depends on the fastening) A sleeper is still secure but if it is the loop style a sleeper can catch in hair or clothing and hurt.

The trick is to keep the newly formed hole really clean both sides for a good time with surgical spirits / cotton bud (from a chemist)

The stud hole is also usually a bit wider diameter so makes it easier then for sleeper style earrings. If you go back to a wider diameter stud after a sleeper it can be a bit painful (but only for a short time) as you get the wider stud diameter back through the hole.

Finally some studs have a pointed end which can make life easier initially finding the burrow hole through the ear lobe - it can all be a bit hit and miss when you first start finding the piercing hole when changing ear jewellery.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Dependant on the fastening of the stud - a stud can be more secure (it depends on the fastening) A sleeper is still secure but if it is the loop style a sleeper can catch in hair or clothing and hurt.

The trick is to keep the newly formed hole really clean both sides for a good time with surgical spirits / cotton bud (from a chemist)

The stud hole is also usually a bit wider diameter so makes it easier then for sleeper style earrings. If you go back to a wider diameter stud after a sleeper it can be a bit painful (but only for a short time) as you get the wider stud diameter back through the hole.

Finally some studs have a pointed end which can make life easier initially finding the burrow hole through the ear lobe - it can all be a bit hit and miss when you first start finding the piercing hole when changing ear jewellery.

So should I stay with a stud or go for an earring?
Reply 3
I can't make that choice for you - you have to try it and see which you prefer
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly
I can't make that choice for you - you have to try it and see which you prefer

Well yeah that is very true. But the thing that got me into ear piercing, was seeing the tiny hole the piercing makes in my ear. But I wasn’t sure if the hole stays in your ear forever.
Reply 5
Original post by Fintan1993
Well yeah that is very true. But the thing that got me into ear piercing, was seeing the tiny hole the piercing makes in my ear. But I wasn’t sure if the hole stays in your ear forever.

How many earrings do you have in your ears? I’m not sure to get it pierced with a gun or a needle?

Quick Reply

Latest