The Student Room Group

Really bad teacher attachment issues

I have really bad teacher attachment issues, theyve never been this bad tho.

Im in y13 and I have this really nice chemistry teacher and ive gotten really attached to her and it’s got to the point where the way she interacts with me affects my day.

Lately she’s become more hesitant to help me and stuff and it’s made me really insecure and upset and I get the feeling she doesn’t really like me anymore and it hurts a lot but i need to move on and idk how to.

Everyone says to get a boyfriend but I don’t want a boyfriend. How do i detach myself from her because it’s really bad
Original post by Anonymous #1

Im in y13 and I have this really nice chemistry teacher and ive gotten really attached to her and it’s got to the point where the way she interacts with me affects my day.

Lately she’s become more hesitant to help me and stuff and it’s made me really insecure and upset and I get the feeling she doesn’t really like me anymore and it hurts a lot but i need to move on and idk how to.

Everyone says to get a boyfriend but I don’t want a boyfriend. How do i detach myself from her because it’s really bad

are you male or female - to help with my answer
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2

Female and straight dw

Female and straight dw
do you face neglectment from family or ever faced with abusive and unloving parents?
Reply 4
(to get a better idea) what kinda of things does she help you with?
Reply 5
Original post by HEXNGRUS
(to get a better idea) what kinda of things does she help you with?

Literally jus work and stuff ive never asked her for personal advice or anything
Female and straight dw

do you face neglectment from family or ever faced with abusive and unloving parents?
can u reply to this please
Reply 7
A little chat with your Head of Year might be useful here - you have a crush on an older person, that's all, but its 'inappropriate' and you need to get over it.
it’s probably mummy issues girly
Original post by Anonymous #3
it’s probably mummy issues girly

also ignore ppl saying u need to consult another teacher or something, ur feelings r valid. i’m the same year and have the same problem haha, what helped is that i distanced myself from her

same girl and i feel for you. my day can be ruined just by how my teacher interacts with me and i do so much for academic validation. my best solution would be to try and ground yourself in other reasons. i try remind myself the real reason I'm in school which is to get into my dream university. you won't see these people after 4 months and the attachment will go away. it's okay to want to talk to your teacher

Similarly, I'm wondering what your relationship with your parents is like, especially with your mother as this teacher is female. It doesn't necessarily have to be abuse or neglect, but some kind of needs not being met by a parent/mother, such as lack of non-judgement, praise, support, or a a tender/caring quality missing from the relationship with a parent... There could be many things that perhaps you didn't/don't get from your mother and so seek them from your teachers instead...

There are many possibilities though. It's also possible that you have some kind of admiration and respect for the role of a teacher and so being liked/praised by them feels important to your self-esteem. In other words, perhaps their opinion of you matters a lot to you because you really respect and admire them. This might suggest some low self-confidence and need for approval and praise from others in order to feel good about yourself.

Yet another possibility could even be lack of close friendships at school. Being liked and cared for by teachers may therefore be the only source of connection, support and being liked/accepted that you get at school.

Let me know if any of this sounds possible for you :smile:

Ultimately, it sounds like it would be helpful to talk about this with a counsellor and hopefully the school would be able to offer you counselling if you ask if it it help you find a free counselling service for teenagers. It's completely normal to need support and ask for it. I'm actually a therapist and I've been seeing a therapist for 5 years myself - we all need someone to talk things through with :smile:
Original post by McGinger
A little chat with your Head of Year might be useful here - you have a crush on an older person, that's all, but its 'inappropriate' and you need to get over it.

It's not necessarily a crush. It could be a bit of a crush under the surface (even straight girls could lightly crush on a teacher they admire), but that's not the impression given by the questioner. It's also not inappropriate, it's actually quite understandable to become attached to people who give you something that you're not getting elsewhere in your life. It's nothing to feel ashamed of at all, it's quite normal. But it's challenging because a teacher won't stay in your life for long and won't be able to give you that personal one to one connection that you're wanting from them. So talking to a therapist and finding a way to let go and seek that connection elsewhere in your life would be helpful for you.
Reply 13
Original post by rose1carple

Similarly, I'm wondering what your relationship with your parents is like, especially with your mother as this teacher is female. It doesn't necessarily have to be abuse or neglect, but some kind of needs not being met by a parent/mother, such as lack of non-judgement, praise, support, or a a tender/caring quality missing from the relationship with a parent... There could be many things that perhaps you didn't/don't get from your mother and so seek them from your teachers instead...

There are many possibilities though. It's also possible that you have some kind of admiration and respect for the role of a teacher and so being liked/praised by them feels important to your self-esteem. In other words, perhaps their opinion of you matters a lot to you because you really respect and admire them. This might suggest some low self-confidence and need for approval and praise from others in order to feel good about yourself.

Yet another possibility could even be lack of close friendships at school. Being liked and cared for by teachers may therefore be the only source of connection, support and being liked/accepted that you get at school.

Let me know if any of this sounds possible for you :smile:

Ultimately, it sounds like it would be helpful to talk about this with a counsellor and hopefully the school would be able to offer you counselling if you ask if it it help you find a free counselling service for teenagers. It's completely normal to need support and ask for it. I'm actually a therapist and I've been seeing a therapist for 5 years myself - we all need someone to talk things through with :smile:

I’ve usually only been attached yo male teachers and ive always had a messed up relationship with my dad and daddy issues but this is the first time ive been attached to a female teacher and its so bad. I have friends and have always had friends and my current ones jus joke ab it and call it a crush” but its so much deeper than that and idek how to say it without sounding weird
Reply 14

can u reply to this please

Yeah im not close to my parents at all used to be to my mum but not anymore
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #3

also ignore ppl saying u need to consult another teacher or something, ur feelings r valid. i’m the same year and have the same problem haha, what helped is that i distanced myself from her

I have lesson with her everyday and bro it genuinely kills me when she ignores me its so bad
Reply 16
Original post by rose1carple

It's not necessarily a crush. It could be a bit of a crush under the surface (even straight girls could lightly crush on a teacher they admire), but that's not the impression given by the questioner. It's also not inappropriate, it's actually quite understandable to become attached to people who give you something that you're not getting elsewhere in your life. It's nothing to feel ashamed of at all, it's quite normal. But it's challenging because a teacher won't stay in your life for long and won't be able to give you that personal one to one connection that you're wanting from them. So talking to a therapist and finding a way to let go and seek that connection elsewhere in your life would be helpful for you.

I tried therapy before I didnt like it idk what to do
I tried therapy before I didnt like it idk what to do

Therapy can be quite useless. It can take a few tries to get the right therapist.

But ultimately, I think that what you're feeling is very understandable and it's okay to feel that way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You are longing for the close and caring parent figure that you're lacking so it is only natural that would attach yourself to teachers. If you can't find a therapist that works for you, the best you can do for now is just notice what you're feeling and reassure yourself that it's okay to feel this way. Just notice the way it affects your mood and confidence, without judging yourself or your feelings. You are very young and over time you will learn to cope with these feelings.

Just keep reassuring yourself that it's okay to feel this way. And try to reach out to people who feel safe to confide in. Perhaps another teacher who you don't feel this way about.

Just try not to worry about how you feel. It is what it is. It's hard that it has such a strong effect on your emotions, but it is okay to feel whatever you feel, pleasant or unpleasant. All feelings pass and rise and fall and rise again and fall again, so just try to let them be there.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi, just try your best in that subject and ask for help when u need it. The attachemnt will eventually disappear after u won't see her anymore. Don't try to keep contact w her and all of that, and just don't worry that much. Life is too short to worry about things that u can't control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending