The Student Room Group

Maths-Related Competitions for University (not In-Person)

I was just thinking about how most if not all competitions that are valued for mathematics are in-person and require a school to do it (e.g. BMO)

Are there any other competitions that could be well valued that are similar, such as those in cryptography?

Notably, most mathematical competitions would be impossible to do from home due to the cheating aspect, which is why I ask to any of the same level that are similar.

Just sort of piqued my interest and I thought I'd ask haha, interested for any inputs.
Reply 1
Original post by {Moss}
I was just thinking about how most if not all competitions that are valued for mathematics are in-person and require a school to do it (e.g. BMO)

Are there any other competitions that could be well valued that are similar, such as those in cryptography?

Notably, most mathematical competitions would be impossible to do from home due to the cheating aspect, which is why I ask to any of the same level that are similar.

Just sort of piqued my interest and I thought I'd ask haha, interested for any inputs.

Not sure exactly what you mean. There are "local" maths competitions like liverpool and lincoln which are aimed ~a level (the liverpool has some earlier years as well) /but you should really be at a school to enter. These are done from home. Theres ritangle which is a level team based, but again at school/done from home. Theres the project euler math coding problems but its less a competition, theres the advent of code in december which is more programming but international and bebras/bio. There are quite a few others, though the competitions, as opposed to diy learning, are usually associated with a school to have some form of validation about the person entering.

When you say valued, theyre all good and doing the learning/practice is more important than a certificate.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest