The Student Room Group

A level options????

Hi, I really want to take international relations/politics at uni and am currently considering taking history, philosophy, maths and textiles for A level. Does anyone know if not having a politics A level and only having two essay subjects will disadvantage me when applying for uni, especially if the unis I apply to are very competitive?
Original post by fkdbydjduv
Hi, I really want to take international relations/politics at uni and am currently considering taking history, philosophy, maths and textiles for A level. Does anyone know if not having a politics A level and only having two essay subjects will disadvantage me when applying for uni, especially if the unis I apply to are very competitive?

As far as I know, they don't require specific A Level subjects to do IR/politics at uni, just strong grades.
If the unis are competitive, then I would make sure the subjects are academic to hold your ground i.e. history, philosophy, maths are more than adequate.
Politics is not a required subject, I think very much because not all colleges offer it. No undergrad admissions should think less of you just because you didn't do politics, most likely because they can't.

I would really struggle to see how you would be disadvantaged by doing history, philosophy, and maths, even if they are asking for a well rounded applicant. If you told me you were doing maths, further maths, and history whilst they asked for a well rounded applicant, you might be slightly disadvantaged by the further maths (because they want different subjects as opposed to just one type of subject, although it's going to be very difficult for them to say further maths is not difficult and is not a worthwhile A Level). Your subjects are diverse enough for any picky criteria, so I think you should be fine if you can get high grades in them and you have a solid personal statement.

Disclaimer: as much as I would like to say the above advice is flawless, it's not ironclad. I could say the above should get you far and can get you far, but there is no guarantee the undergrad admissions of your chosen universities will throw curve balls at you and refuse you entry for whatever reason. The final say will always come from the people deciding your admissions (not anyone from TSR, any relative, any graduate, any student, or any consulting company), and only they can tell you whether your application is good enough or not.
If you are unsure about anything, it's best to contact undergrad admissions of the politics/IR department of the unis that you want to apply to. They will give you better directions and advice on the specifics.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
You dont need A level Politics for a degree in Politics.
Most Social Science degrees, including Law, have no 'required subjects'.

But you will need to be able to demonstrate an interest in Politics as an academic subject in your Personal Statement - some suggested reading to get you started : https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/politics/undergraduate/courses/reading-list
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
As far as I know, they don't require specific A Level subjects to do IR/politics at uni, just strong grades.
If the unis are competitive, then I would make sure the subjects are academic to hold your ground i.e. history, philosophy, maths are more than adequate.
Politics is not a required subject, I think very much because not all colleges offer it. No undergrad admissions should think less of you just because you didn't do politics, most likely because they can't.

I would really struggle to see how you would be disadvantaged by doing history, philosophy, and maths, even if they are asking for a well rounded applicant. If you told me you were doing maths, further maths, and history whilst they asked for a well rounded applicant, you might be slightly disadvantaged by the further maths (because they want different subjects as opposed to just one type of subject, although it's going to be very difficult for them to say further maths is not difficult and is not a worthwhile A Level). Your subjects are diverse enough for any picky criteria, so I think you should be fine if you can get high grades in them and you have a solid personal statement.

Disclaimer: as much as I would like to say the above advice is flawless, it's not ironclad. I could say the above should get you far and can get you far, but there is no guarantee the undergrad admissions of your chosen universities will throw curve balls at you and refuse you entry for whatever reason. The final say will always come from the people deciding your admissions (not anyone from TSR, any relative, any graduate, any student, or any consulting company), and only they can tell you whether your application is good enough or not.
If you are unsure about anything, it's best to contact undergrad admissions of the politics/IR department of the unis that you want to apply to

Thank you so much for your advice, that was really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by fkdbydjduv

Why not economics?

Quick Reply

Latest