The Student Room Group

Aerospace/Aeronautical Eng Uni Application

What are good extracurriculars or competitions to be able to put on my uni application? I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, oxbridge, or MIT and currently in Yr11
Reply 1
Original post by resonanthunder
What are good extracurriculars or competitions to be able to put on my uni application? I'm thinking of applying to Imperial, oxbridge, or MIT and currently in Yr11
You deffo need a really good engineering work experience, maybe learn abit of cad to put on your personal statement too.
Hey there , regardless of which university you intend to apply to I can share some advise on extra curricular for any engineering application. But since you're aiming for top universities like Imperial, Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge), or MIT, it's important to demonstrate not only academic excellence but also a passion for learning and a well-rounded set of skills. Participating in extracurricular activities and competitions can significantly enhance your university application. Here are some suggestions:
Stem competitions :
There are several different competitions and olympiads that you can take part in pre A level and in A level year 1 and 2.
Pre A- level : UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge ,International Fermat Contest ,Pink Kangaroo Contest, Mathematics Olympiad,British Physics Olympiad GCSE, Mother Tongue Other Tongue Poetry Competition
A level year 1 : Mathematics Olympiad , British Physics Olympiad AS Challenge ,PhysicsBowl Online ,C3L6 Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, RSC Analyst Competition, UK Chemistry Olympiad , Intermediate Biology Olympiad , British Biology Olympiad
I would also strongly advise you to join a robotics team and competing in events like FIRST Robotics Competition showcases your engineering skills, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities. Or compete as an individual in different hackathons , many different companies host these along the year.
Beyond this I would say try to be an all round student , don't only take part in STEM related extra curricular activities . Get involved in debating , public speaking ( for e.g Model United Nations ) , leadership roles , community service and volunteering , sports and possibly even something in the creative arts as well if you can manage it with your schedule.

I hope this helps .
Cece
Engineering student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest