The Student Room Group

Academic Achievements

I'm writing my UCAS personal statement and I'm into my second draft - I'm able to write about further reading, work experience, a residential, journal I follow, out of school activities (related to subject), EPQ, youth speaks, etc. But I have 0 academic achievements.
I get good grades but I didn't do this or that in a geography or geology competition, or I didn't achieve this or that in an essay writing competition.

How will I be able to prove my academic achievement? (I can't really talk about GCSE results as I was a low achiever until now)
Or does anyone have any tips on biology, geology, maths or geography related competitions etc. over the summer?
Reply 1
Lowkey, only unis in the top 10 care that much about personal statements (unless you're applying under the grade requirement), but everything you have there already sounds good.

I had 1 academic achievement in my personal statement, which was participating in the Senior Maths Challenge and I didn't even say what I got and still got 4/5 offers (the last one was Cambridge where I got post-interview rejected). Pretty much 30% of my personal statement was actually related to my Extended Essay (basically an EPQ) as well. As long as you show a genuine interest in the subject and word it well then your personal statement will be ok lol.

Then again that's just how I see it, proving academic achievement could help so might as well keep searching, but don't stress over it
Original post by daniell2oo5
I'm writing my UCAS personal statement and I'm into my second draft - I'm able to write about further reading, work experience, a residential, journal I follow, out of school activities (related to subject), EPQ, youth speaks, etc. But I have 0 academic achievements.
I get good grades but I didn't do this or that in a geography or geology competition, or I didn't achieve this or that in an essay writing competition.

How will I be able to prove my academic achievement? (I can't really talk about GCSE results as I was a low achiever until now)
Or does anyone have any tips on biology, geology, maths or geography related competitions etc. over the summer?

You are already showing your academic interest by including further reading. Also consider doing a MOOC related to the subject you are applying for. You have time to complete one in the holidays:

https://www.mooc.org/

Lots of unis give personal statement advice on Youtube and you can look at examples of personal statements for you subject here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statements-by-subject
Reply 3
You have already done it - your EPQ.
Stress your 'curiosity' that led you to that topic, your 'learnt research skills', and what interested you about what you discovered within that topic/question.

You dont need medals, prizes and certificates.
You just need to show that you want to learn and that you are already exploring your own interests beyond A levels

Quick Reply

Latest