The Student Room Group

HELP! Applying to dentistry and admissions have asked me what I did on my 2 year gap?

Hi, I am a graduate applicant applying to dentistry with a background in pharmacy. Initially I began my course studying pharmacy at Cardiff university but due to depression and being away from family I decided to transfer universities. I had to go from year 2 pharmacy in Cardiff to year 1 in KCL. I finished my course and got a 1st class. I have no idea why they are now investigating this. But I am really worried and have to send them a reply within 3 days. I don't know if I should come clean about this as it may show I do not have the grit but extenuating circumstances really made life horrible studying pharmacy at Cardiff. Please can someone advice me on what to do??
Reply 1
Be honest and provide all medical evidence if they require it. If your depression is under control they cannot discriminate against you- it’s probably just a routine check to ensure it was nothing sinister
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
Be honest and provide all medical evidence if they require it. If your depression is under control they cannot discriminate against you- it’s probably just a routine check to ensure it was nothing sinister

Problem is I don’t have medical evidence because I don’t like taking medicines and I treat my depression in other ways. I know if I go to a doctor he will just simply put me on medication but I do have a diagnosed general anxiety disorder and was put on meds for it and I came off it. Those 2 years at cardiff are marred by depression, anxiety and general home sickness that I never got rid of. Moving away to Kcl in London closer to home made eveything better being arround family. A university in London btw is requesting this. I am thinking of not giving too much details and just telling them that for ‘personal reasons’ I had to transfer from 2nd year in cardiff university studying pharmacy to 1st year KCL. What do you think of this?
Reply 3
Original post by Spartcus
Problem is I don’t have medical evidence because I don’t like taking medicines and I treat my depression in other ways. I know if I go to a doctor he will just simply put me on medication but I do have a diagnosed general anxiety disorder and was put on meds for it and I came off it. Those 2 years at cardiff are marred by depression, anxiety and general home sickness that I never got rid of. Moving away to Kcl in London closer to home made eveything better being arround family. A university in London btw is requesting this. I am thinking of not giving too much details and just telling them that for ‘personal reasons’ I had to transfer from 2nd year in cardiff university studying pharmacy to 1st year KCL. What do you think of this?

It’s your own risk, if you don’t have a depression diagnosis on paper it’s probably not something you can claim as you don’t have evidence of that. You also risk being deemed unfit to practise if a gp would recommend you go on meds but you go against their advice and choose not to. Did you come off the meds for your anxiety disorder under medical supervision or did you one day just stop taking them? The latter may not go down well.
You can choose to not give many details but then you risk them just rejecting you due to the secrecy; much of the red tape for medical professionals isn’t actually the unis itself it’s the nhs. It’s expensive to train a dentist, why should they risk their money against someone who is unmedicated and possibly has an unstable mental health? That’s admissions thought process!

Quick Reply

Latest