The Student Room Group

A level results day- dentistry

Hi,

im writing on here because im quite confused on what do to, and i keep doing things to delay the fact that i would have to sort this issue out. I get my results in abt 5 days, i applied to biomed but have always had the desire to dentistry but things didint work out due to me getting a very low UCAT score in 2022 summer. So i thought that i can do biomed and then do a post grad in dentistry. Whilst i was doing my a levels this year, i began having severe depression and anxiety as well as a lot of family issues, so i think i did not perform well as i would have (idk how i did yet), but i did miss out some pages (bio,chem,history). During this summer i was unhappy with my decision to do biomed and i knew deep down i didnt want to waste 3 years doing somehting i don't like, my heart has always been set on dentistry. So i was like i will retake yr13 again and prepare for the ucat again and do it this summer for entry in sep 2024, i've been preparing but my scores are 2100-2200 and i need 2700+ to be in a good position especially, as a candidate who is retaking, but im going on holiday, a big trip on 23rd august, was hoping on doing ucat 14th August, and i dont know what do should i do after i come back from holiday but i will be thinking abt the ucat and my results and be sad about that, or should i just go uni and apply in 3 years. I don't know, i have no one to ask for help, please advise me. Thank you and good luck to all on results day
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
boost
hey, I also want to study dentistry at university but I think ill get ACC which obviously isn't good enough I suggest that you apply as a graduate as most unis don't accept resists. I wish you all the best on results day :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by vesq
Hi,

im writing on here because im quite confused on what do to, and i keep doing things to delay the fact that i would have to sort this issue out. I get my results in abt 5 days, i applied to biomed but have always had the desire to dentistry but things didint work out due to me getting a very low UCAT score in 2022 summer. So i thought that i can do biomed and then do a post grad in dentistry. Whilst i was doing my a levels this year, i began having severe depression and anxiety as well as a lot of family issues, so i think i did not perform well as i would have (idk how i did yet), but i did miss out some pages (bio,chem,history). During this summer i was unhappy with my decision to do biomed and i knew deep down i didnt want to waste 3 years doing somehting i don't like, my heart has always been set on dentistry. So i was like i will retake yr13 again and prepare for the ucat again and do it this summer for entry in oct 2023, i've been preparing but my scores are 2100-2200 and i need 2700+ to be in a good position especially, as a candidate who is retaking, but im going on holiday, a big trip on 23rd august, was hoping on doing ucat 14th August, and i dont know what do should i do after i come back from holiday but i will be thinking abt the ucat and my results and be sad about that, or should i just go uni and apply in 3 years. I don't know, i have no one to ask for help, please advise me. Thank you and good luck to all on results day

1. Research all the dent unis that will take resits. AND also look in depth about any contextuals etc you may qualify for such as Partners Porgramme Newcastle.
2. Also most unis have a mitigating factor form and since you have some issues you can try look further into this.
3. DONT DO BIOMED IF ITS NOT WHAT U WANT and postgrad competition is harder than undergrad
4. Ive never heard of october entry before you'll have to go on a gap year
If im in your position I will book the ucat NOW start revising and smash it out in 4 weeks. Research what unis accept resits and which unis take mitigating factor forms. If you have any questions you can ALWAYS email the admissions team at the uni. Resit all 3 a levels. and yeh theres no reason why you cant get in.

add me on insta if u have anymore q @ayaan.dent I reply quicker there!
Reply 4
I didn't recieve any offers for dentistry, I was wandering if there is any possibility of recieving a spot in any uni through clearing for a dentistry degree.
Reply 5
Original post by mo_u786
I didn't recieve any offers for dentistry, I was wandering if there is any possibility of recieving a spot in any uni through clearing for a dentistry degree.

Hey yeah I was in a similar position last year, finding a place on results day is near impossible for dentistry, however there is no harm in trying. What I did was email every dental school with my stats asking if they would consider me ( might be a bit late now as some took weeks, month to reply) then judging from their enthusiasm I saved their numbers ranked 1-9. Some dental skls flat out said its impossible so I didn't write their numbers. Then yeh results day get your results asap den start calling!!!

Add me on insta if you have anymore questions I respond faster there.
@ayaan.dent
Original post by vesq
Hi,

im writing on here because im quite confused on what do to, and i keep doing things to delay the fact that i would have to sort this issue out. I get my results in abt 5 days, i applied to biomed but have always had the desire to dentistry but things didint work out due to me getting a very low UCAT score in 2022 summer. So i thought that i can do biomed and then do a post grad in dentistry. Whilst i was doing my a levels this year, i began having severe depression and anxiety as well as a lot of family issues, so i think i did not perform well as i would have (idk how i did yet), but i did miss out some pages (bio,chem,history). During this summer i was unhappy with my decision to do biomed and i knew deep down i didnt want to waste 3 years doing somehting i don't like, my heart has always been set on dentistry. So i was like i will retake yr13 again and prepare for the ucat again and do it this summer for entry in oct 2023, i've been preparing but my scores are 2100-2200 and i need 2700+ to be in a good position especially, as a candidate who is retaking, but im going on holiday, a big trip on 23rd august, was hoping on doing ucat 14th August, and i dont know what do should i do after i come back from holiday but i will be thinking abt the ucat and my results and be sad about that, or should i just go uni and apply in 3 years. I don't know, i have no one to ask for help, please advise me. Thank you and good luck to all on results day

good luck with it all :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by drdent
1. Research all the dent unis that will take resits. AND also look in depth about any contextuals etc you may qualify for such as Partners Porgramme Newcastle.
2. Also most unis have a mitigating factor form and since you have some issues you can try look further into this.
3. DONT DO BIOMED IF ITS NOT WHAT U WANT and postgrad competition is harder than undergrad
4. Ive never heard of october entry before you'll have to go on a gap year
If im in your position I will book the ucat NOW start revising and smash it out in 4 weeks. Research what unis accept resits and which unis take mitigating factor forms. If you have any questions you can ALWAYS email the admissions team at the uni. Resit all 3 a levels. and yeh theres no reason why you cant get in.

add me on insta if u have anymore q @ayaan.dent I reply quicker there!

Thank you sp mcuh and by october entry i meant applying this year coz med/dent deadline to apply is in October rather than January fir 2024 sep entry

Quick Reply

Latest