The Student Room Group

urgent help.

A 5.20 g sample containing ammonium chloride was added to 75.0 cm3 of 0.75 mol/dm3
NaOH(aq). This was then heated until all the ammonium chloride had reacted with the
NaOH.
25.0 cm3 of the resulting solution was added to a conical flask using a pipette and titrated
against 0.500 mol/dm3 H2SO4(aq)
. Consistent titres of 22.50 cm3 and 22.60 cm3 were
obtained.

i know that you do 0.02255 x 0.5=0.011275
since it is 2:1 ratio i multpily by 2 however it doe not say that on the markscheme anyway after that you multplie by 3 to get it in to 75cm.
Original post by nnn121337
A 5.20 g sample containing ammonium chloride was added to 75.0 cm3 of 0.75 mol/dm3
NaOH(aq). This was then heated until all the ammonium chloride had reacted with the
NaOH.
25.0 cm3 of the resulting solution was added to a conical flask using a pipette and titrated
against 0.500 mol/dm3 H2SO4(aq)
. Consistent titres of 22.50 cm3 and 22.60 cm3 were
obtained.

i know that you do 0.02255 x 0.5=0.011275
since it is 2:1 ratio i multpily by 2 however it doe not say that on the markscheme anyway after that you multplie by 3 to get it in to 75cm.

What is the full question actually asking?

If the question is broken up into parts and (a) asks how many moles of ammonium chloride are present in the 25 cm^3 sample, then that would make sense.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
What is the full question actually asking?

If the question is broken up into parts and (a) asks how many moles of ammonium chloride are present in the 25 cm^3 sample, then that would make sense.

percentage purity of ammounium chloride.
Interesting. Where did you get this question from?

Unless I’m missing something or making a horrible mistake, the numbers don’t seem to work because they imply there is more sodium hydroxide left than was used in the first place.
Reply 4
Interesting. Where did you get this question from?

Unless I’m missing something or making a horrible mistake, the numbers don’t seem to work because they imply there is more sodium hydroxide left than was used in the first place.

i had the same problem as you i got the question was from a YouTube video but they didn't do the same question they changed it. i thought i was missing something but it clear that this question is not possible
Yeah, honestly I think you have grasped the method well and the writer just forgot to account for there being three portions of solution. Considering back titrations are just one of those topics where it is easy to slip up, it’s good to see you can approach them nonetheless.

Original post by nnn121337
i had the same problem as you i got the question was from a YouTube video but they didn't do the same question they changed it. i thought i was missing something but it clear that this question is not possible
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Yeah, honestly I think you have grasped the method well and the writer just forgot to account for there being three portions of solution. Considering back titrations are just one of those topics where it is easy to slip up, it’s good to see you can approach them nonetheless.

thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest