The Student Room Group

Best Staregy to Keep Up With Homework

I am struggling to keep pace with my homework assignments. Does anyone have any advice or strategy to ensure I don't miss my assignments due dates and am at pace with them?
Original post by Primez
I am struggling to keep pace with my homework assignments. Does anyone have any advice or strategy to ensure I don't miss my assignments due dates and am at pace with them?
You have to find a strategy that works for you and your lifestyle. Firstly, take into account your commitments outside of studies. Do you work? If so, how many hours and which days? Do you value a balance between work and play to maintain motivation, or are you the kind of person that isn't particularly social and is commited to studying for the full duration but are simply struggling to keep up with all your assignments?

Once you have these questions answered, there are a few different ways to go about your problem. Regardless of your situation, keeping a neat and tidy, dated journal is a good idea. When given an assignment, immediately write the brief details inside with the date it was given to you and the date it is due. You can go as far as to code it as you work through them, crossing out fully completed assignments and putting asterisks on unfinished assignments describing any points/details etc. that you still need to add.

Now onto the solutions. My preferred method is to attempt to complete each assignment one by one as soon as it is given to me, regardless of the length it will take. This both frees up the time I will have for the next assignment and eases the pressure of failure and not meeting expectations for myself. You will of course miss social outings on occasion, not be able to be there for others when they need it and other unforseen things can happen, but it is a general rule, not a set in stone way of doing things. Another thing to consider with this method is the fact that due dates will often vary wildly between "due in the next few days" and a larger assignment "due in months time". Because of this, the simple answer is to just start with what is given first, then when you are given your first longer assignment of the course/subject, see that through to completion, stopping only for other assignments that are due on a more urgent date, then resume the large assignment. When you are give a second or third larger assignment, don't stop the first until you have finished it. I find the flow of seeing something through to it's completion much easier than trying to juggle everything at once, but that's just me with my unique mind, everyone is different.

Another way is by trying to keep to a strict schedule. This can be combined with the first method, or not, it's up to you. Whatever days that you have lessons/lectures/practical studies on and whatever hours you work/have other commitments, figure out a schedule that allows for at least 1 hour of homework a day, even on weekends, even when you are on holidays, even when you are hungover from that party on the weekend. One hour is not hard to do, most of us spend 3 or 4 times that on our phones every day being unproductive. I personally don't use this method, simply because I work on inspiration as opposed to being able to work to my very best daily and trying to make my work exceptional on the fly in a one hour time frame. Others are much better at this and can put themselves into the zone no matter what the day demands from you.

I hope this wasn't just regurgitating information you have heard in the past, it is quite generic, I know. Sometimes, we just need an impartial mind to state the obvious. While everyone IS different in the way they study and do things like homework, there really is no way you can go wrong as long as you have discipline and have chosen to study something which motivates you and you have some inherent interest and/or talent in said field. Do keep a journal though, it helps massively. If you havent got one at all, or are trying to work from a messy one currently, make a new one from scratch and transcribe all the assingments from the old one, so you have them in one easy to follow package.
Original post by Primez
Hey there 😀

Navigating through deadlines can undoubtedly pose a challenge. I have experienced the struggle firsthand during both my high school and initial university years. Crafting a strategy to effectively manage assignments and meet deadlines often involves a series of trial-and-error attempts.

My personal go-to method involves maintaining either a physical or digital calendar within arm's reach at all times. Promptly noting down deadlines as soon as they are introduced helps prevent any oversight. By having these dates written, I can anticipate periods of high activity and identify windows of availability.

Upon reflection, I allocate sufficient time for each assignment by considering the workload and scheduling dedicated work sessions accordingly. To ensure deadline adherence, I advocate for a generous allocation of time. It is far preferable to have surplus time than to find oneself rushing to meet a cutoff. Interestingly, I have found that this approach frequently results in completing tasks ahead of schedule, which not only fosters a sense of accomplishment but also allows for indulging in well-deserved rewards. This strategy has proven highly effective for me, facilitating a harmonious balance between productivity and self-reward.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hello,

I would like to share with you a few of my personal tips that have helped me through my uni years:

Go back to basics: I love to use my post it notes with the date and my assignments on my laptop and around my room.

Phone reminders: A good idea would be to put a reminder on your phone 1 week and 48 hours before the due date!

Divide a paper into 4 squares: Write 4 subheadings, urgent and important, important but not urgent, urgent but not important, not important or urgent. I find that this is the best way to manage your tasks and stay on top of things.

Let me know which of these methods you're hoping to try.
Best of luck,
Haya
MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending