The Student Room Group

Pls help with ph of strong bases

Hi!
In the topic of acids and bases in a level aqa chem, I have a question about finding out the concentration of strong bases using the ph
Why do we divide the [OH-] by 2 when finding out the [Ba(OH)^2]? I thought we would have to multiply by 2 because when the base/alkali dissociates, aren’t two molecules of hydroxide ions released? I’m so confused pls help if you know, tyy! :biggrin:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Winta:)
Hi!
In the topic of acids and bases in a level aqa chem, I have a question about finding out the concentration of strong bases using the ph
Why do we divide the [OH-] by 2 when finding out the [Ba(OH)^2]? I thought we would have to multiply by 2 because when the base/alkali dissociates, aren’t two molecules of hydroxide ions released? I’m so confused pls help if you know, tyy! :biggrin:

Hey!

Try writing out the equation of what is happening when Ba(OH)2 dissociates and have a look at the stoichiometry between the base and hydroxide ions:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ghostyblop
Hey!

Try writing out the equation of what is happening when Ba(OH)2 dissociates and have a look at the stoichiometry between the base and hydroxide ions:smile:

Thankyou so much! I didn’t even consider the stoichiometry and the number of moles!
Thankyou for your help! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest