The Student Room Group

Classics interviews at Oxford

Hi everyone,
I’m a US senior who’s just received the invitation to interview at Corpus Christi college at Oxford for the Classics. I’m in Classics 1. I just had a couple questions for those who have gone through this process before. Thank you so much!

1. Will the interviews run over the allotted time
2. What type of philosophy questions will they ask
3. What kind of Latin grammer questions did they ask
4. Any other tips?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone,
I’m a US senior who’s just received the invitation to interview at Corpus Christi college at Oxford for the Classics. I’m in Classics 1. I just had a couple questions for those who have gone through this process before. Thank you so much!

4. Any other tips?

Thank @The_Lonely_Goatherd was just about to reply...!

To give you a short answer, no. Interviews might go a little over time but as far as I'm aware, they will try to stick to the time limit as much as possible as they have lots of interviews to get through on the same day.

To answer your other questions... One important thing to note is that interviews are at the discretion of the tutor. Every interview, at every college, will be different - so I can't give you very specific ideas of what they will ask about - or if they will ask about philosophy, Latin grammar etc. at all. It is up to the tutor.

The interviews are designed to see how you learn and how you might work in a tutorial environment, so they will often move onto topics that you do not know about. Try not to be stressed by this, and show your thought process for how you are coming to your answers. It's more about the process than whether you actually have the right answer. To get a vague idea of the kinds of philosophy questions you might be asked, have a look at these web pages - but as I said be aware these are not gospel and you could be asked anything! https://www.oxfordinterviewquestions.com/questions/philosophy/ https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/12/can-you-solve-it-oxford-university-admissions-questions

In my interview I got asked to translate a passage of Latin on the spot, but no specific questions to explain grammar as far as I remember.

My advice would be to make sure you have a good understanding of any topics raised on your personal statement and anything you're covering in your Latin and/or Greek course at school. It's always useful to do extra reading around the subject, especially on areas you're interested in, and practice talking about them (either to a friend/parent/teacher or to yourself). Try not to be too stressed about interviews and enjoy them!
Reply 3
Original post by elilast
Hi everyone,

4. Any other tips?

To give you a short answer, no. Interviews might go a little over time but as far as I'm aware, they will try to stick to the time limit as much as possible as they have lots of interviews to get through on the same day.

To answer your other questions... One important thing to note is that interviews are at the discretion of the tutor. Every interview, at every college, will be different - so I can't give you very specific ideas of what they will ask about - or if they will ask about philosophy, Latin grammar etc. at all. It is up to the tutor.

The interviews are designed to see how you learn and how you might work in a tutorial environment, so they will often move onto topics that you do not know about. Try not to be stressed by this, and show your thought process for how you are coming to your answers. It's more about the process than whether you actually have the right answer. To get a vague idea of the kinds of philosophy questions you might be asked, have a look at these web pages - but as I said be aware these are not gospel and you could be asked anything! https://www.oxfordinterviewquestions.com/questions/philosophy/ https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/12/can-you-solve-it-oxford-university-admissions-questions

In my interview I got asked to translate a passage of Latin on the spot, but no specific questions to explain grammar as far as I remember.

My advice would be to make sure you have a good understanding of any topics raised on your personal statement and anything you're covering in your Latin and/or Greek course at school. It's always useful to do extra reading around the subject, especially on areas you're interested in, and practice talking about them (either to a friend/parent/teacher or to yourself). Try not to be too stressed about interviews and enjoy them!

Thank you so much! Do you think for the pre reading interview requires time before to prepare? Because I planned on being in class until 5 mins before the interview starts. Do I need to be alone the entire half hour before?
Reply 4

Thank you so much! Do you think for the pre reading interview requires time before to prepare? Because I planned on being in class until 5 mins before the interview starts. Do I need to be alone the entire half hour before?
If they've told you the pre-reading takes half an hour, I would recommend taking the full half hour so you can make as many notes as possible. So it depends exactly what they tell you but I suggest taking as much time as you are given...!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending