The Student Room Group

Ancient History, Classics or Archaeology at University in 2023

hi! i'm currently applying to study classics for 2023 entry and have just sent off my UCAS form. looking on the student room there isn't much information on classics at university and i wanted to start a discussion on general classics university stuff, just because right now i am literally the only person i know who wants to study classics and don't really have anyone to talk to about it! i'm also applying to cambridge so any information on what other applicants are doing/thinking would also be fun to talk about. i'll start with a little introduction:
i'm applying for classics at cambridge, durham, st andrews, UCL and bristol (although if my only offer is bristol i am taking a gap year because there's nowhere else i want to go other than my top 4!)
anyway, i'm not sure if anyone will even reply to this but it would be great to have some classics friends so pls introduce yourself and tell me about your application!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey fellow Classicist. I'm currently studying Classical Studies part-time at the Open University :smile: (I'm in my second year of Year 2... if that makes sense, because I'm part time).

I'm gonna move this thread out of Chat to the right section so hopefully you can get more replies.
hi! also a classics applicant, though ive never been able to study anything related to classics so its pretty daunting. interestingly im also applying to cam, durham, and st andrews- my other options are edinburgh and warwick.
which college have you applied to?
Reply 3
Original post by cicerohno
hi! also a classics applicant, though ive never been able to study anything related to classics so its pretty daunting. interestingly im also applying to cam, durham, and st andrews- my other options are edinburgh and warwick.
which college have you applied to?

hi! have you studied either of the languages before/are you doing the four year course or three?
i'm applying to gonville and caius, wbu? :smile:
also, are you going to fill out the cambridge SAQ bit with the optional personal statement? i've been doing some research on it and there's as much evidence for against filling it out as there is for filling it out. i think i might just leave it since i've covered everything i need to in my personal statement.
Original post by pkchan
hi! have you studied either of the languages before/are you doing the four year course or three?
i'm applying to gonville and caius, wbu? :smile:
also, are you going to fill out the cambridge SAQ bit with the optional personal statement? i've been doing some research on it and there's as much evidence for against filling it out as there is for filling it out. i think i might just leave it since i've covered everything i need to in my personal statement.

I've done the jact ancient greek summer school but thats about it when it comes to language learning, so im going for the four year course!
caius looked like a super nice college, but ive ended up going for clare. i dont think i will do the extra personal statement, just because i think i covered all of my bases in my personal statement and reference, so there might not be much point- and im worried if i mention any texts they'll ask me about them all in the interview (praying i get one) and thats just too much to reread pre-interview.
do you have any preferences in Durham college? i was at the open day and quite liked st cuthberts society
Reply 5
I've done the jact ancient greek summer school but thats about it when it comes to language learning, so im going for the four year course!
caius looked like a super nice college, but ive ended up going for clare. i dont think i will do the extra personal statement, just because i think i covered all of my bases in my personal statement and reference, so there might not be much point- and im worried if i mention any texts they'll ask me about them all in the interview (praying i get one) and thats just too much to reread pre-interview.
do you have any preferences in Durham college? i was at the open day and quite liked st cuthberts society

did you do the JACT ancient greek summer school this year - i did it too this year! we would have been there at the same time haha.
same, i definitely don't want to mention any more supercurricular stuff in the optional PS, because i already have to literally reread every single book and research everything i mentioned on my PS to death before the interview (if i get one!). i'm struggling so much with workload right now - on top of a-levels and preparing for the admissions test and also EPQ i am dying in work and barely have time to think about reading at the moment.
i didn't go to the durham open day - i went to durham on a random day in a random half term so didn't get a chance to go into any of the colleges, but looked at them. there's about five colleges surrounding the classics department and i'm basically just going to put down all of those (if i even get an offer!) to make my morning walks shorter (plus those colleges are in the pretty part of durham so that's an added bonus). however, a current student i know said she did the same thing and put down the 5 colleges around the classics department and didn't get any of those colleges because everyone else has the same idea! still gonna give it a go though.
Original post by pkchan
did you do the JACT ancient greek summer school this year - i did it too this year! we would have been there at the same time haha.
same, i definitely don't want to mention any more supercurricular stuff in the optional PS, because i already have to literally reread every single book and research everything i mentioned on my PS to death before the interview (if i get one!). i'm struggling so much with workload right now - on top of a-levels and preparing for the admissions test and also EPQ i am dying in work and barely have time to think about reading at the moment.
i didn't go to the durham open day - i went to durham on a random day in a random half term so didn't get a chance to go into any of the colleges, but looked at them. there's about five colleges surrounding the classics department and i'm basically just going to put down all of those (if i even get an offer!) to make my morning walks shorter (plus those colleges are in the pretty part of durham so that's an added bonus). however, a current student i know said she did the same thing and put down the 5 colleges around the classics department and didn't get any of those colleges because everyone else has the same idea! still gonna give it a go though.

i loved Bryanston so much! i may or may not have been in the comedy this year...
Hi fellow classicists!!!

I’m in my gap year currently, applying to Manchester, Royal Holloway, Warwick, Birmingham and UCL (however really I only have eyes for Manchester…!) My A Level grades were a lot lower than I hoped so had to rule out Oxbridge, Durham etc but tbh I’m happy as long as I’m studying Classics. I’m hoping to finalise my ucas over half term and send it in asap!!

If anyone wants to swap personal statements to read over, we could all help each other?! Good luck to all you Oxbridgers with admissions tests… the CAT seems very scary haha 🫶🏼🫶🏼🫶🏼
Still got zero our of five offers, starting to get impatient- has anyone else heard anything back?
Only Exeter, no others - also getting restless!
I applied to Oxford, Exeter, Warwick, Durham and St Andrews...
Reply 10
Original post by mandyelicup
Only Exeter, no others - also getting restless!
I applied to Oxford, Exeter, Warwick, Durham and St Andrews...

I have one from bristol, but am not expecting anything from Durham, UCL and St Andrews (and obviously not cambridge). They are known for taking absolutely ages to make decisions and will most likely come out in april/may which is infuriating but oh well - have to stay patient and just keep in my head that it's not just my application that's taking ages.
Reply 11
Hi I'm Maddie! I'm applying for various classics related subjects at Leeds, Birmingham (offers received for both), Oxford, Edinburgh and Durham

I'm currently working on interview prep and teaching myself Latin through the Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata series which is an insanely useful tool, especially since I've not had an opportunity to study it as an A level

My A levels are classical civ (only state school I know of which offers it), history and philosophy
Hello!
Im applying for Cam (4 year) and Edinburgh (for 2024)!
Ive got an interview offer from cam but nothing back from Edinburgh yet.
Reply 13
Original post by *dots*
Hello!
Ive got an interview offer from cam but nothing back from Edinburgh yet

As far as I know unis in Scotland tend to respond fairly late, i think due to highers results being released or something like that?

My sister is a first year at Edinburgh this year and only heard back from them in March when she sent her application in December
Original post by *dots*
Hello!
Ive got an interview offer from cam but nothing back from Edinburgh yet.

Hi, congrats on the interview! What college is it with?
Hi, congrats on the interview! What college is it with?

Corpus Christi
Original post by *dots*
Corpus Christi

Hi! I'm not doing classics at uni (almost applied, but I changed my mind to archaeology at the last minute), but I'm also applying to Corpus, and I set up a thread for Corpus applicants to chat, if you want to check it out.
Corpus Christi Applicants 2023
Best of luck with your application!
Original post by m.thom
Hi I'm Maddie! I'm applying for various classics related subjects at Leeds, Birmingham (offers received for both), Oxford, Edinburgh and Durham

I'm currently working on interview prep and teaching myself Latin through the Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata series which is an insanely useful tool, especially since I've not had an opportunity to study it as an A level

My A levels are classical civ (only state school I know of which offers it), history and philosophy

Another state school classicist! Mine offers Classics and Latin, but only because they set up a fundraising campaign to keep it!
Original post by pangolin :)
Another state school classicist! Mine offers Classics and Latin, but only because they set up a fundraising campaign to keep it!

So good to see some other state school classicists- my school doesn't offer anything even remotely classical, so I've been making do. I just hope it doesn't disadvantage my application 🥴
There definitely aren't many state schools which offer classics.
My daughter goes to a state sixth form college and does Class Civ A Level, but we live over 33 miles away, so she has to commute. There's nothing more local offering Class Civ.

So good to see some other state school classicists- my school doesn't offer anything even remotely classical, so I've been making do. I just hope it doesn't disadvantage my application 🥴

You should be fine, there's no requirement to have A-Level Class Civ in order to do it for a degree. Don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending